Daintree Info

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swingonthespiral

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone....

Well I'm lucky enough to be going up to the Daintree for 5 days as part of my Honeymoon (woohoo) and I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on some must do's while we are up there?

We are staying at a private cottage at Cow Bay and we have a small Suzuki Vitara 4x4 (Beryl).

We are interested in some of the smaller walking tracks (Andy can't really go much further than a couple of kms), some nice 4x4 tracks with about intermediate difficulty, any pretty waterholes and herp spots would be awesome too.

And we're happy to travel a couple of hours if need be.

Hoping someone can give us a hand.

Thanks in advance..... and we'll share pics when we get back in about 3wks :D

i could tell ya but id have to kill ya. there are many up there but im not sure where the are. if you were going there in 1.5yrs time i could tell you cause we are going up there about then
sorry i cant help
matt

i did the same for my honey moon, it was awesome.i cant remember the names of the places but trust me, just explore, the entire place is beautiful. dont bother with all the tourist crap, do your own thing. congrats in advance

Ok how do i avoid the tourist crap?? :lol: thanks herpie boy :D

And i gather that the actual village of the Daintree is quite small so would i be better off doing the groceries in Cairns or something before hand??? The cottage is self contained and we're on a tight budget so I guess that would be better than forking out for lunch/dinner at cafes etc???

im up thier ever 2 months lol we do alot of work up thierits nice i guess :)

Go to Coopers Creek trail walks if you want to see some Boyds, It costs something like 30 bucks, I went on a day and a night walk and saw more Boyds than I care to remember as well as heaps of other stuff.

Make sure you have plenty of food and drink with you, there isn't much around in the way of cafes, food shops etc... There is the Cow Bay hotel which is pretty cheap and does good pub food (Wednesday night is Pizza night out the back, but don't leave it too late, the locals look forward to the pizza too).

If you head north along the coastal road past Cow Bay and drive until you get to the first river crossing (I think it is called Laura Creek), don't cross it, but park on the left side of the road and follow the track along the edge of the river for about 45 minutes and there is a good swimming hole up there.

Other than that, just explore. The creeks and rivers are pristine, you can see to the bottom and they are full of fresh water crays, tortoise, fish etc... The water is so fresh you can stick your head in and drink it.

It really is the best part of the world (As long as you don't mind having solar power and tank water!)

If you are lucky you may spot a cassowary or a nice big scrubby.

Enjoy!!

ok on some show the other day it said soming about snorkling in a river there its spost to be the cleerest water and too cold for crocs

If you are lucky you may spot a cassowary or a nice big scrubby.

Enjoy!!

I spotted both in one day!! though I missed out on seeing a Chameleon Gecko :(, but I guess you need to save something for next time.......and there will be a next time!

I spotted both in one day!! though I missed out on seeing a Chameleon Gecko :(, but I guess you need to save something for next time.......and there will be a next time!

Lucky you, I missed out on the scrubby, but I managed to see a cassowary further south at Mission beach.

There is also a rainforest / eco tourist park there, it is on your left, on the main road, south of Cow Bay, I can't remember the name, but it has a big observation deck that is about 6 storeys high and you can look down on the rainforest canopy. They also have a reasonable snake display there, it is included in all of the tourist brochures up there, you won't miss it.

Enjoy your time there.

Attachments

• Cassowary1.jpg
    Cassowary1.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 159
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back