Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edan2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Darwin carpet Pythons. I am considering this as a first snake. Is this recommended.

Does anyone know of any site or care sheets (any decent information) on this breed?

Any suggestions for where I can purchase a decent Vivarium in the NSW region?

Thanks,

Edan

The only stuff I've seen about Darwin carpets is on the URS site (http://reptile.senet.com.au). I don't think there's any care info (although there might be), all I know is that they sell them on occassion. :?
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

If you do a search through a search engine try the words irian jaya.
There is far more posts on them and as they are same species but diff locale it should be sufficient for what you are after.

darwin carpets.

another key word/words would be morelia spilota verigarta. which is there species name. the name darwins is a localised name but the same species can be found through out the top end including nth queensland..
failing that they can be kept along the same guide lines as morelia spilots cheynei ( jungle carpets)
cheers paul.

Thanks

Well still searching, seems like the Darwin is not a common snake, very little information on it.
If anyone has further information greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Edan

If interested in Darwins Edan2000 I have a mate selling a breeding pair.They produced 32 eggs last season and 28 were hatched and raised. They are I think if my memory serves 4 years old and approx 8 foot in length.They are nice looking snakes but apparently snappy.I think the guy wants $800 but im sure hed take $700 or $750 as hes been trying to sell them for ages.

The majority of the Darwins that I have encountered over the years have been snappy.

I've just recently got my frist Darwins/Northerns/varigartas/Whatever, They're tops. It's all i can say at the moment, no bites or any sign of snappyness and this is form a yearling that has never really been handled often and a 3yo, both males. Cyber, shame about not hearing about the pair 3 weeks ago!! LOL

Darwins

:!: Hi eden in my personal experience with is a little constricted I would not push towards your first snake being s Darwin. Having a cousin with a yearling that was a hatchling and a friend with a 2 year old pair, they all seemed very snappy. Put ya hand in and tag, but others may differ also.
Hoped it helped

Hmmm my pair have always been quiet (untill recently when I provided them with a perching area and an aviary for few hours a week. as posted elsewhere in APS) so I was under the impression they were a good snake to begin with.But as is the majority of experiences in here I seem to stand corrected. That is why I love this site,Everyday learning something new.
Mine have never attempted to bite untill recently when I first put them outside in the aviary and only then it was the male that didnt want to come back inside.(Its like it had turned feral after just several hrs outside)
LOL

Funny you should say that Cyber, I have noticed my Coastals get more stroppy after a day in the reptarium! I put it down to them being able to get extra heat into their system. Anyone else got any thoughts on this ?

darwins

hi john..
any chance of contact number for the darwins..
or could you give him my number..07 40562806..
cheers paul.

My understanding is that a Morelia Spilota is pretty much a Morelia Spilota whether it be a Variegata or a McDowelli.Are the diferent names not just diferent patternings? OK, wild caught I'm sure there are temperament diferences (possibly due to diferent prey / predators in their natural range) but once captive bred for a couple of generations, I really can't see a Darwing having a diferent "breed personality" to a coastal.
I mean, in a diferent forum a few weeks ago, we discussed dog personalities and general consensus was that it is environment not breed and there are far bigger diferences between a rotti and a bull terrier than coastal and murray darling.
It's mostly just perception I think. When Snarf posted that his water python is friendly (better than his childrens) most of us probably went "yeah, that's just an exception." When someone says that their water is vicious you go "yeah, that's the breed." Who knows which one is more common, friendly or vicious?
:D
PS, my snakes often get cranky after some time in the sun, I also figured it was from being warmer.

Snappy???

:? Well there seems to be some contention on what is snappy or not. Any other herpers out there with Darwin experience.
I think it is a very attractive snake but being inexperienced don't know what to choose. I placed another post in the help section. If anyone can add to that really appreciated.

Cheers,

Edan

Morelia spilota is specie and my opinion is that it is much difference between subspecies. Just try to put 3 mails with one female in different subspecies. Morelia spilota spilota is fine with that and actually it is preferred to do this.. Some other subspecies of Morelia spilota fight and can kill opponent. But i can be wrong as i am just young in this game.

Well any one with juveniles for sale (up to maybe 2 years old) please send me an e-mail. Prefereably NSW.

Edan

Yeah, OK I expressed myself really badly. Sorry. I still say that I don't believe that a 10th gen CB Darwin has a really snappy disposition but a 10th Gen Coastal has a really friendly one. I may only be new to the hobby but I've seen enough psycho's and cuddlies that came from the same clutch and were reared by the same people to form my own opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back