Darwin Crocodylus Park

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon the concrete pens could be a little bit wider perhaps and personally i agree with Oz rocks in saying the living conditions of the crocodiles are cramped and you can not compare the living requirements of a crocodile to the living requirements of the animal shelters and livestock for these reptiles have been on the planet a lot longer then any chicken or dog and . And i for one they should be given our full respect. I Think all zoo's could take a page out of Steve Irwin's book, on looking after crocs for they are a animal of great danger and are the apex predator. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this zoo funded by the N.T Government?? and if this zoo does attract tourists and looks as good as most of you all say it is were is the lack of funds. i always thought Australia's zoo and sanctuary's would be excellent like Australia zoo and Dubbo zoo e.t.c e.t.c.:|:|

i mean no offense to anyone its just my 2 cents :D:D

Well, things got a bit carried away there, I decided to delete all the posts as they had nothing really to do with the topic at all. Very tempted to hand out infractions, but wasn't sure where to start. But if it starts again, I'll dish 'em out.

I will remind everyone that evryone on this site is entitled to an opinion - no matter how wrong it may be - and they are entitled to express that opinion (as long as it doesn't break any rules). Several opposing views have already been argued. And now I want to make a couple of points:

Crocodile Farms are just that - farms. That's how they make their money. Maximising the usage of space is good business sense. And they are regulated by local and State ot Territorial authorities.

If it wasn't for Crocodile Farms, the Saltwater Crocodile would probably be extinct in Australia.

Animals in captivity that have all their basic needs met usually will thrive in an environment much smaller than "the wild". This is particularly true of reptiles.

20m x 20m for a couple of tigers is a decent size enclosure. Yes, many zoos keep them in larger enclosures, but I've seen many zoos keep them in smaller cages.

Concrete is an excellent choice of building material substrate from an hygenic point of view - it is quickly and easily hosed down and cleaned, and is easily disinfected. In fact, I would suggest that concrete sitting in the Darwin sun would get so hot that most bacteria would be unable to survive on the surface.

Sea Turtles - like Hawksbills - only come a shore to lay eggs. The ones in the concrete pit (that I assume was filled with water) wouldn't have come out onto the little concrete "land". In fact if the land was grass and sand and the size of a football field, the Hawksbill would probably still not have crawled onto it unless she was ready to lay.

:p

Hix

Note: I have never been to Crocodylus Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i have time i will post some pics this week end of the park it is really not anywhere near as bad as what it has been played out to be i am an animal lover and animals suffering always make me angry . hate to de-sensationalise this thread but none of the animals are suffering at the park sorry find someone else to pick on..that deserves it and i will gladly jump in and help..

Just so ppl know that the last thread I had made was the post with the pic's. My ex had hacked into my computer and found passwords all over the place. Don't ask how he did it but he did. I reported it already to hix. So everyone know's the person who gobbed off in my name wasn't me but my ex causing trouble. He had done it in 5 other forum'sthat im a member too, in my yahoo messenger and other thing's I have. Sorry if this caused any drama.
Simone

Hmm freedom of speech is alive and well I see.

Go the croc farms doing what they need to do in the most appropriate way.

Crocs Rule

Well done OZROCKS!!

Hi all,

let me start by congratulating ozrocks on stepping forward and congratulating him/her... I suggest "Isis" you go back and read the rules in which u accepepted to abide by.

"Rule number 2: Be tolerant of all other users. Remember, we have members of all ages and levels of experience and enthusiasm, of different nationalities, religions and cultures. Rude or racist remarks and hurtfully sarcastic comments will be deleted and you will be penalised. Bear in mind that a sarcastic comment that an adult would laugh at may be hurtful to a young member.

Even if he was on a school trip, doesn't our future adults have a say in today's world, if so what does our future hold in the means of standing up for animals rights?!!

With that aside, I believe Ozrocks has put forward a question that really does need to be asked?
Are we treating crocodiles humanely by keeping them locked in a cage 6mX6m??
It does not matter if this is one of the best facilitys/conditons we have!!

well said!

well siad GIBSONIC!
I a talanted pro on all animans completely agree with your pleasurable comment!
that croc farm in darwin is in a shocking state and needs a extreame makeover!

yours faithfully....snakelover1

this thread needs to end cause its going to end in ppl verbally bashing each other and for ppl who dont know anything about crocodylus park and is not from here i guess keeping thier rude comments to themselves saves ppl yappin at each other......:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back