Darwin Python Juvie Advice

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by Alannah, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Alannah

Alannah New Member

Hi,
    So I have recently bought a Darwin Carpet python and it would be around 6 months old at the moment. It has a very defensive temperament, trying to strike at me each time I get it out of its enclosure. I've read that it is common for young Darwin's to be aggressive and grow out of it - is this true?
    I also have a question in regards to tank temp. I have a heat lamp on 24/7 and the temperature stays around 5-10°C higher than the outside temp. I know in summer I'll have no issue with the temp., but in winter should I turn the lamp off at night? When the outside temp would then drop down to approx 10° so I think that might be too cold for this species?

2. Shire pythons

Shire pythons Active Member

Generally speaking darwins become quite placid as they grow and become more confident with handling. That being said at 6months old try not to handle excessively it is probably stressing it out .As for heating is your lamp hooked up to a thermostat? Very important imo , do you have an accurate way of reading the temp under the lamp ? ( temp gun , thermometer) . At that age 24/7 heating is required with a hotspot of around 34