Darwin Strikes But Won't Latch On

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poswah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a Darwin python almost 7 months old. Has always been a great feeder in the five months I have had him until 6 weeks ago when he just stopped. He is in a 30x30x45 cm repile one enclosure. Ambient temperature in house is around 23 due to cold weather near Canberra where I live. His heat comes from a heat mat and sits about 33 degrees. For the first few times he refused he didn't even strike like he wasn't interested. Last night he seemed real Hungry hunting around so tried giving him a fuzzy rat. He struck at it a good dozen times but never latched on. I could not even see teeth marks on the rat. Left it in cage over night and never touched it. Am I doing something wrong this is my first winter with him. Apart from that he seems stress free and healthy.

Haha ok I was a little worried for a bit. I don't keep darwins, so you will have to wait for a keeper to come along.

I would think with the recent cooler weather the heat mat may not be keeping the tank as hot as it was previously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Poswah, It seems likely that he has detected a lowering of temperature and decided its winter and stopped feeding. The hot spot may be 33 but how is the temp in the cooler part. Do you have an IR thermometer to check his actual temperature? Sometimes when you feed them too much too often they stop feeding and go into a prolonged pre-shed period, it could be a combination of both. Either way there is not much you can do about it, he will be fine and come good when he is ready.

Hi Poswah, It seems likely that he has detected a lowering of temperature and decided its winter and stopped feeding. The hot spot may be 33 but how is the temp in the cooler part. Do you have an IR thermometer to check his actual temperature? Sometimes when you feed them too much too often they stop feeding and go into a prolonged pre-shed period, it could be a combination of both. Either way there is not much you can do about it, he will be fine and come good when he is ready.

Thanks yellowtail he seems healthy and still has a good size and strength about him. Have switched to a heat lap so will see what happens. He is hovering around 22 to 24 degrees at present. Will just wait it out and keep offering. Knew about the winter cool down was more worried that he seemed to not hold on. Thanks for the feedback.

I do have a IR thermometer the cooler part floats around low to mid twenties.

That's your problem, you need to keep young Darwins above 27 at the cool end or they will stop feeding. It's the low end night time temp that determines their seasonal behaviour even if the basking end is 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back