Darwin x Coastal Carpet substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiki N

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m absolutely certain this has been covered multiple times, but please humor me guys. I have a bit of a need for specificity and would appreciate suggestions.

I have a 3 year old female Darwin x coastal carpet (7 feet + and growing) who has been on coco husks in her enclosure. Now normally this wouldn’t be an issue; my other snakes are on coco husks and it works well. However, my carpet has a habit of getting pieces in her mouth while she eats. She is VERY food responsive, and substrate flies everywhere. I have to very gently pull them out of her mouth with my hemostats as she eats. I know one or two pieces isn’t a big deal, but it’s always more than that and I just don’t want to risk it.

I see people suggesting cypress mulch or aspen. I also see people advising against sand. I just want to see where the majority of your guys opinions fall on, and I’ll go from there.

Thanks love yas!

Attachments

• trim.5EA44F67-F87F-4AB0-BD4E-4362A6E32100.MOV
    701.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi Kiki N
Personaly , I use either kitchen paper or news paper instead of substrate. It dosn't look as good, but its cheap , sterile, easy to replace , a lot less messy, and little to no chance of the occupant accidently ingesting anything it shouldn't. You could use brown paper if you don't like the look. Good luck.

Astro turf been using for 3 years and it's great, cheap, reusable and easy to spot clean

Latest posts

Back