David Williams AHS Review

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by krefft, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krefft

krefft <span style="font-weight:bold;color:#B200FF;">Snak

For those of us lucky enough to be at the AHS meeting last night David Williams presented what many thought was the best talk they have seen.

David's knowledge and passion made his 2.5 hour presentation on snake bite in PNG fly by.

Thanks to those who came along and supported the night and commiserations to those not lucky enough to get there. You missed out on one of the best.

Now's the time to set the 26th of October aside for Bryan Fry.
    Your only hurting yourself when you miss out on night's of this calibre.

ps The Herpetological Symposium this weekend is shaping up as a great 2 days. If you are interested in attending contact the organisers for current deals available

2. pythonmum

pythonmum Subscriber Subscriber

It certainly was an excellent talk. He could have gone on all night just about the herpetofauna (wasn't that rugose death adder cool!), but the human cost of snakebite was a real eye-opener. Those photos of the hospitals made me incredibly grateful for the Australian health system.

I am psyched for the symposium - a bumper week for fans in Sydney!

3. -Peter

-Peter Guest

Was it two and a half hours? I was getting a little uncomfortable near the end(back) but I didnt think it was half that long. What I found astonishing is that medical facilities in the outer areas are on a par with those set up by the Kiaps (Patrol Officers) in the 50s and 60s. A rude hut and a will to help, not much else after 60 years!

4. herpingjournal

herpingjournal Not so new Member

Acanthophis rugosus, i now like! PMGH, and PNG in general, are extremely fortunate to have David's knowledge available to them. A very kind man indeed.

5. FAY

FAY Guest

I would of loved to attend, but I have been sick. So, not everyone that didn't go, didn't just because they were lazy lol

6. I didn't go because I live 400km away... and I'm coming down tomorrow. Maybe by train if the weather looks too crappy for the bike... 7 as against 4 hours... oh well, at least I can read on the train.

Now - did anyone ask what the difference is between a 'toxicologist' and a 'toxinologist'?

Jamie

7. pythonmum

Toxicologist and toxinologist are covered in the thread leading to the talk, but no one asked last night...

Take the train, Jamie - the weather is filthy. Then you can read your book and herp magazines on the way home :)

I was engrossed in the story of iguanas on Hispaniola on my train ride back from the AHS meeting last night.

8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Very Well-Known Member

Cracking presentation, thoroughly enjoyed it.

The work David is doing is fantastic, & will be a major benefit to the people of PNG, considering the high instance of snake bite over there. The AV project was fascinating & I hope it continues smoothly & successfully.

It's also good to see the promotion of using effective treatment of snake bite before they get to hospital. I'd much rather a correctly applied PIB to some of the local treatments shown......almost as scary as the envenomation would be....

9. hrafna

hrafna Well-Known Member

sounds like it was a good night. The search for a babysitter starts now, for next months meeting. Failing that i will kneecap my wife so she can't go to work. . . . . . . Maybe.

10. sweetangel

sweetangel Very Well-Known Member

i did enjoy it! :) im looking forward to next month thought ;)

11. toxinologist

toxinologist Active Member

Thanks everyone

Hi all,
    It was an absolute pleasure to be invited to speak at the AHS meeting on Wednesday, and I am very grateful to the Society Executive for this great opportunity.
    Thanks for the great feedback about the talk, I was worried it might have been a little bit long-winded, so I'm glad people enjoyed it.
    Cheers

David

12. Waterrat

Waterrat Almost Legendary

David, are you still in Sydney for the symposium? We should catch up.

Michael C.

13. pythonmum

Not long winded, but clear that you had enough material for several talks which we would have immensely enjoyed. Such a tease! Perhaps we can convince the Society to have you back next year for a talk about the clinical trial of the PNG antivenom and progress on the polyvalent antivenom... (hint, hint)

14. -Peter

-Peter Guest

I got out of my sickbed to go. Still over 100km on the train would be arduous. Hope your feeling better.

15. Trench

Trench Well-Known Member

has anyone got a vid or some thing of it?
    I couldn't come but would love to hear his talk if anyone has recorded it?

16. GeckPhotographer

GeckPhotographer Very Well-Known Member

It was an amazing talk, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

17. krefft

krefft <span style="font-weight:bold;color:#B200FF;">Snak

There is already talk of getting David back next year. Partly for an update, and partly because there are so many people disappointed they missed it.
    We had around 80 there, and if we don't get 150 next year something's very wr0ng.

18. jack

jack Very Well-Known Member

our hospitals can be dangerous places for snake bite victims as well unfortunately... his little story about measuring the potassium levels incorrectly happens here too!

a very inspirational talk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.