Deadly new breed of bloodthirsty, killer frog discovered in Landsborough, Qld!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones up here love earth worms too, I often find them at night during the wet up here grabbing all the worms surfacing due to water logging of the ground. I've got a heap of the green tree frogs (more like khaki or olive) and arrow heads around my house in the burbs. I love that they're there...... until the rain comes and the racket they make is insane, no hope of talking on the phone. Well I guess it's not that bad afterall,,,,lol.

Hmmmmmmmm we used to have heaps where we lived north of Bundy.
We had one that we loved and was an incredible frog. He moved in when he was just a young adult, quite a jumpy little chappy, you could tell cause he had a distinctive craok.

Anyways one night we were sitting watching TV and we heard him croaking and 'screaming' in pain. we jumped up and behind a counch on the veranda was a 1 1/2 meter carpet trying to devour him. So my dad grabbed the snake around the neck and held it till it started to let the frog go (yes we deprived a snake of its meal but it was in our house and these frogs kept the bugs away).

From that point onwards we were always able to tell him because of the scars on his back.

When we moved in 2000 to Tannum Sands (Gladstone) we actually took him with us (back then I didn't know about licencing etc and it may have been wrong but its in the past, its life get over it :) )

He lived with us for another few years then oneday dissapeared. We had him I think for about 10 years??? So he might have come to the end of his time.

All in all pretty cool non pet tho :)

We used to catch massive moths and he would destroy them, they eat as much as you can give, one night I gave one about 15 months. mind you he was only about 6cm long, so you can image how full he would have been, after I stopped he climbed straight back up near the light and kept on going!

Hmmmmmmmm we used to have heaps where we lived north of Bundy.
We had one that we loved and was an incredible frog. He moved in when he was just a young adult, quite a jumpy little chappy, you could tell cause he had a distinctive craok.

Anyways one night we were sitting watching TV and we heard him croaking and 'screaming' in pain. we jumped up and behind a counch on the veranda was a 1 1/2 meter carpet trying to devour him. So my dad grabbed the snake around the neck and held it till it started to let the frog go (yes we deprived a snake of its meal but it was in our house and these frogs kept the bugs away).

From that point onwards we were always able to tell him because of the scars on his back.

When we moved in 2000 to Tannum Sands (Gladstone) we actually took him with us (back then I didn't know about licencing etc and it may have been wrong but its in the past, its life get over it :) )

He lived with us for another few years then oneday dissapeared. We had him I think for about 10 years??? So he might have come to the end of his time.

All in all pretty cool non pet tho :)

We used to catch massive moths and he would destroy them, they eat as much as you can give, one night I gave one about 15 months. mind you he was only about 6cm long, so you can image how full he would have been, after I stopped he climbed straight back up near the light and kept on going!

I get so scared that my pythons will escape n take my frogs, that they are in separate rooms now. Lol omg I would have been so upset about that poor frog :( was they any damage to. Him? Other then the scars I mean.

Ii had friends try n give me a green tree frog wild caught cos it was missing a leg n some toes. I had to explain its illegal and that their limbs normally grow back if they are still young. We ended up taking it to somewhere... N they looked after it, they still couldn't believe I wouldn't take it. Some people will never understand.

Ii had friends try n give me a green tree frog wild caught cos it was missing a leg n some toes. I had to explain its illegal and that their limbs normally grow back if they are still young. We ended up taking it to somewhere... N they looked after it, they still couldn't believe I wouldn't take it. Some people will never understand.

Even if you damage the limb bud of a tadpole it will cause permanent damage and while removing a frogs leg will heal over, it would not grow back. Green Tree Frogs can live in captivity for over 20 years by the way, they aren't short lived animals.

I get so scared that my pythons will escape n take my frogs, that they are in separate rooms now. Lol omg I would have been so upset about that poor frog :( was they any damage to. Him? Other then the scars I mean.

Na the little one was alright :) Tough little bugger :) A bit of skin missing and very light bleeding and was wheezing a bit after it...but that may of had something to do with the 5 foot python squeezing the life out of it lol

Not that I advocate messing with native wildlife *cough, cough* but my own froggies loved the odd day old rat as a treat now and again!

Only after a good night out :lol: Hehehehehehehe

Thanks Nes, I am only interested in giving him/her a treat if I stumble across something he might like. I dont want to 'keep' him, nor handle him..... more like just encourage him to stay :D I have never heard it croak, so maybe it is female? The only noise it makes is when the potplant is watered, it growls :shock:, thats how I discovered it was there.

Geckphotographer,

I know they can live a long time :)

And I seem to remember my preschool had a little frog whose leg grew back... It got stuck in the hinges of a door at one of the teachers houses... I'm sure the leg grew back... I might be wrong though... Or maybe they just swapped the frogs n said the leg grew back. Oh well thanks for the info ;)

And I seem to remember my preschool had a little frog whose leg grew back... It got stuck in the hinges of a door at one of the teachers houses... I'm sure the leg grew back... I might be wrong though... Or maybe they just swapped the frogs n said the leg grew back. Oh well thanks for the info ;)
I've been involved in the mark recapture of frogs that has been happening for 20 years (I don't mean I've been involved for 20 years for those who point out I'm 18) a number of the frogs are missing arms, legs, whatever, some from a young age and we have recaptured the same animals sometimes 10 years later still missing those limbs. Unfortunately I have no proof of that, because while we weigh and measure each animal and write down it's microchip number we don't really keep tabs on who has arms/legs etc but since they sit in the same spot most the time we've cross referenced the number just to check numerous times.

Na the little one was alright :) Tough little bugger :) A bit of skin missing and very light bleeding and was wheezing a bit after it...but that may of had something to do with the 5 foot python squeezing the life out of it lol

Obviously it wasnt his time to 'croak' :lol::facepalm:

Sorry, couldnt resist that one :lol:

Geckphotographer,

I know they can live a long time :)

No, they dont grow back........

View attachment 253914

Attachments

• Poor little frogs.jpg
    Poor little frogs.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Yes, he lives in the potplant, inside the hollow stake that holds it up :lol:

Still have all the coastals visiting, A yellow and black monitor, Kangaroos all over the lawn, owls and Kookeburras on the clothesline (owls at night/Kookas daytime) and now have a couple of northern brown bandicoots that come up to the rat shed and eat the scraps :lol: like a zoo up here...... ;)

So, for $20 you can come up.... I'll even let you handle my snake :shock: (or not?) Bbwwwwahahahahahehehehe

Most girls say....."ohhhh... ahhhhhh look at the size of that! Can I hold it?" when they see it, so must be ok? ;)

Especially my coastal montgomery (monty for short):lol:

We have 3 biguns that live in the pots on the balcony (we are 4 floors up). You should hear them whinge when the plants get watered in "the Dry". I guess they are trying to sleep lol.

Now the storms are wandering around it's a gronkfest. The snakes (also on the balcony) cant hear them but they can see them. (what sort of rats are those?) :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, he lives in the potplant, inside the hollow stake that holds it up :lol:

Still have all the coastals visiting, A yellow and black monitor, Kangaroos all over the lawn, owls and Kookeburras on the clothesline (owls at night/Kookas daytime) and now have a couple of northern brown bandicoots that come up to the rat shed and eat the scraps :lol: like a zoo up here...... ;)

So, for $20 you can come up.... I'll even let you handle my snake :shock: (or not?) Bbwwwwahahahahahehehehe

Sounds like fun Captain, we may pop in one day.

Ok, one his head is pointing straight up..... the other he is a bit limp.... sorry about that :shock::lol: and one he is sticking straight out. From February, he is a bit bigger now ;)

Attachments

• Snakes feb 0212 073.jpg
    Snakes feb 0212 073.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Snakes feb 0212 074.jpg
    Snakes feb 0212 074.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Snakes feb 0212 007.jpg
    Snakes feb 0212 007.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 47
hey ratbag play him some music, this little fella used to come sit on the ipod player every night when i was at my brother in Texas QLD.
160.jpg

they like 8 month pregnant belly's to.............missus will kill me for this one found this one on a rip to Darwin in december last year
031.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back