Deadly taipan caught in city home

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holes: That's very true. I think as a snake catcher you should be absolutely cionfident in your ability to handle any snake that is in your area. otherwise why do it at all?

The Venom Zoo attend to problem snakes for one reason only - publicity. They don't miss a trick. If it means saying the scrubby in a roof weighs 100kg, they say it. I have been there, met the owner and some of his disposable staff and I can confidently say it's the worst outfit since the Dundee Park closed down in the nineties. Holes, don't waste your time and money.

I know from my own experience that it's almost impossible to control the media. On few occasions I gave them a script I wrote to cover a snake catching story but it obviously wasn't exciting enough, so they re-worded and basically stuff it up. I believe, and I was told this morning that the QPWS advise licenced snake removalists to do their job discreetly, and so it should be for a good reason. Taipans are rare as hen's teeth around Cairns in these days and an incident such as this one gives the public the impression that they have to be weary on Taipans and ..... every snake is a Taipan from now on.
Not Good David, I hope you enjoyed your 5 minutes of glory.

sadly too true about the media hype ...been a victim of it myself ....I dont mind doing an article if it is to encourage people to be a bit more alert, but relax dont panic, if seeing a snake in and around their home ,giving them tips on what to do and who to call etc as long as its a positive outcome for all including the snake ..but cowboy carry ons only dampen that senario and put a negative spin on it .

The media in the NT have always been pretty good as far as ven stories go. But i guess when there is only one rag in town the journos can afford to not hype the stories up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back