deadly tape

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scailes

Reaction score
did any one see the news the other day costoms found a pair of yellow rattle snake wrapped around the spooles on a casset tape one was dead the other will be destroyed but they were magnificant looking animals

Yep I saw that on the news. Poor things, they looked albino, and the fact that 2 juvi Rattle snakes were wrapped around a VHS video tape and stuck into a post pack, I?m amazed either survived, but the survivor was a beauty wasn't it... It?s so sad that it has to be destroyed.
It was sent from Amsterdam, Holland.
Was it an Albino or do they just look that color at birth :?: :?:
I agree with our laws on exotics but that incident shows that the law isn?t in anyway a deterrent if you really want to import snakes on the sly, not even the health and safety of the snake they covet so much as to risk the penalties you can incur seem to matter to smugglers.
It?s hard for me to understand someone wanting an animal so much there prepared to risk killing it in the process of acquiring it.
At a guess Id say the mortality rate would be over 50% maybe much higher. I can?t see any animal lover smuggling snakes or reptiles, If you love the type of reptile so much that you will risk fines or JAIL, how on earth can you justify endangering its life.
It has to be profiteers no-one who loves animals would wrap 2 snakes round a video tape and stick it in the mailbox.

OZ

I disagree with the laws of Australia. I dont see any reason for experienced herpers to not be allowed to file for an exotic handlers/importers licence and be able to import from other countries.I feel as long as these species are not being let loose in our wild and are in quaruntine upon arrival that there shouldnt be a law against it.The fact that uk and usa have some beautiful species that we dont encourages these low lifes to smuggle stock,not to mention purchase prices on there heads here down under.Would it really be that bad if a few experienced herpers(and I mean there would have to be criteria to meet such as 5 years licenced etc) imported a few chondro pythons for $1000 rather than pay $5000+ here? Would it not reduce poaching and smuggling etc?The fact that one has to own a private zoo licence before importing any species is a joke.As harsh as it is the fact is we can not import and we can not collect from wild.So anyone with an interest in a python from another country is just **** out of luck.Unless they invest in several homes all over the world and a personal jet so they can travell to feed there pets.Even if NPWS allowed only Australian native species to be imported would it not benefit those involved in the herpetological hobby as well as a future for the species in question?Anyways thats my 2 cents worth.
To hell with NPWS

I dont consider it a brave statement,just my opinion.The fact is I have no respect for a so called system that is currupt.If anyone has looked at www.smuggled.com they would realise the curuption involved in NPWS. As an example there was many cases of NPWS taking (legally stealing) Chondro pythons off legit herpers and said that there record keeping books were false and the specimens were illegally captured or imported (which wasnt the case and they prooved such at court). After a long court case NPWS were ordered to return the snakes to the rightful owners but unbelievably all had died.(Or were they sold off?) further more it was alledged that the species in question were to replace species stolen or lossed at taronga park zoo (who miracuasly attained there collection of chondros) It is also alledged that they wish to keep green tree pythons wild and not in collectors stocks and the small amount that exist in the trade at a high price.Furthermore in regards to exotic imports, If an Australian herper is found with any exotic species they are usually given to Zoo's etc But majority of the time are culled by NPWS. So would you rather an animal killed for being in a foreign country? or protected by an illegal keeper?So my opinion remains the same.To hell with NPWS

Well, if it's not brave then it must be...
Just kidding, but seriously, we have done the exotics debate to death.
I happen to go the other way on this issue.

More on the subject is snake relocating.What is with all this public liability?
I mean the locators are experienced handlers of venomous species,would they risk the lives of those they are removing the snake away from? Is the liability for themselves? I say its another money making scheme from good ol NPWS. Now who is going to pay several grand a year for liability for a job they do either voluntarily or for a small cost?I dont see many locators continuing there work under those circumstances so I hope NPWS have a few guys sitting behind there office computer just waiting for a telephone call from a frantic woman who has an 8 foot inland taipan in her class room and 20 kids jumping out windows and on tables.I dont see why they have to change something that has obviously been working well for all concerned for the last however many years.Lets get real here after all its a non profit program (although looks like NPWS might make a profit now)

Yes me too.
Seems the newbie<<<<
has started a debate that is always a never ending argument.
(I just get so worked up over it all lol).

No Cyber just that we have had this ongoing discussion about exotics and there are two camps that don't see eye to eye. Both sides have good and bad points but it usually gets a little heated.

Cheers Hawkeye

Yes I have to agree with you there hawkeye,Hence my statement of starting a never ending argument.But all in all a good debate is healthy for all concerned.Theres nothing like expressing your true feelings aye!

Asbestos undies

[Dons Hawk's asbestos undies] I don't happen to agree with you, CC, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it, etc., etc., etc.

Good on you for putting forward your point of view.

I can't comment of the corruption, etc., you mentioned, as I've no personal knowledge of it. I've always found NPWS to be pretty helpful and friendly, but that's just my limited experience.

You're probably not getting any major bites to your post, as we've had this debate before, and it always turns out to be a case of "agreeing to disagree", eh Al? :wink:

The main point is to avoid taking comments personally, no matter which side you're on (this is a pretty friendly community).... but it's always a lot of fun to watch! :lol:

Cyber, if you have such a dislike for the NPWS Guidelines :? (Guidelines yeh right, written in stone more like it)
Ive got an Idea, .......Move to Canberra ACT, there "Guidelines" are, how shall I put it, DIFFERENT :!: :!:
Oh and while your here you can start up a rodent breeding colony and fill my freezer :wink: 8) :lol:

OZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back