Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herpcagemaster

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone here could set the record straight as far as classifying each locality of Death Adder with it's common and scientific name. From my understanding, the Dajarra Death Adder, for example, is actually a Desert Death Adder (Aconthophis pyrrhus). Which common and scientific names do all of the other localities belong to (A. wellsi, Barkly, Pilbara, etc)? I'd like to make a chart or information packet with the Common Name, Scientific Name, Locality, Range Map, and pictures of the different color varieties of that specific type of Death Adder.

I read somewhere on the internet that the Dajarra Death Adder is a locality of Desert Death Adder, but I guess that is wrong. Thank you for clearing that up.

Read Wilson and Swan , a guide to reptiles of Australia, it is the most current widely accepted book on reptiles in Australia, showing locality etc, Cogger would also be excellent but harder to get your hands on....see the sponsors section (think its herpbooks) for book sellers if you dint have either one, we sell Wilson and Swan only through our site.

I will look into that book. It looks very interesting. Are you familiar with [ NO LINKS THANKS ]?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some controversy over the classification of the adder complex at the moment, it might be best to PM someone like eipper for the most up to date stuff.

There is some controversy over the classification of the adder complex at the moment, it might be best to PM someone like eipper for the most up to date stuff.

If you ignore R.H. pseudotaxonomy, the controversy almost disappears.

If you ignore R.H. pseudotaxonomy, the controversy almost disappears.

Haha yeah I know what you mean, although I thought some recent work put Barkly's closer to praelongus rather then antarcticus? Don't quote me on that though.

Does anyone have the most up to date list of death adder species (common name, scientific name, geographic range)?

Hate to dig this thread up but I'm also looking for books on death adders... The book by Cogger book you mentioned, in my googling i've found a few, witch one are you refering too? as there are some quite old ones? Are they still accepted? Could I possibly be a complete pain and get a full title of the book? and ven more of a pain a publication date :D :) pretty please?

Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia - Cogger 6th edition (Green cover) is 2000, but rather dated now.

Ohk thanks :) Is there a more recent/accurate book i should look out for?

Ha! no.... just after info on the Aussie ones. Looking at going into class 2 in the next couple of years, and death adders are what we are planing to keep so wanted to start my researching :D
Well Actually any really up there elapidae books you can think of would be great :D google anoys me, i much prefer books.

Last edited:
The following information is from the AROD section of the "reptilesdownunder" site...

"•north-eastern Queensland - northern death adder (Acanthophis praelongus)

•Pilbara region and surrounds of Western Australia - Pilbara death adder (Acanthophis wellsi)

•central Australia, west to nearly surround the Pilbara region - desert death adder (Acanthophis pyrrhus)

•from Perth in the west, south along the coast, up the east coast to about Cairns - common death adder (Acanthophis antarcticus).

The name Acanthophis hawkei (named for former Prime Minister Bob Hawke) is available should specimens from the Barkly Tableland region be split into a separate species."

Essentially there are 4 recognised species on the mainland at the moment. There are also two distinct forms – Barkley Tablelands and Dajarra – that are currently included in the species A. antarcticus, but are likely to prove to be separate species once molecular studies of the populations have been undertaken.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
I'm finding very little on the captive care atm, only 2 detailed care sheets, witch both say very different things. I'm aware that one of the care sheets is by some one of ill-repute.. so i'll probably just stick to asking a friend about them :)

You might want to also check out the following publication, available on-line from Wolfgang Wuster's site : WÜSTER , W., A.J. DUMBRELL, C. HAY, C.E. POOK, D.J. WILLIAMS & B.G.FRY (2005) Snakes across the Strait: Trans-Torresian phylogeographic relationships in three genera of Australasian snakes (Serpentes: Elapidae: Acanthophis, Oxyuranus and Pseudechis). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 34(1): 1-14

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back