Death Adders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke_jensen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I never been that interested in keeping vens as pets, but I went to a mates house the other night, who has a Northern Death Adder. I now want one or two but I can't find much info on Death Adders. I'm chasing as much info as I can get. I would like to know which are the most docile, which are the smallest, how to sex, how to breed, when do they breed, can you keep them together, ect, ect.

Also I would be interested if any one has any for sale, I'm chasing young one's because they are so cute when they are young.

Also if any one has any pic's or links that would be great too.

P.S. The missis even gave it the go ahead :D

Hi Duke,

I keep this particular species of snake. I would definitely not recommend them as pets for first time venomous keepers. Obviously it is up to you whether you keep this or not, but since you were asking for information I thought I should throw this one out there.

One of your questions was which of them were the most docile. The answer to that would be all of them, up to a point. And this is usually where the problems start for people who choose to keep them. They are ambush predators and as such are always lying in wait of prey. This gives them the appearance of being "docile", "quiet" or "placid". They are, however, notoriously unpredictable because as such they usually show no "emotion" right up to the point where they strike. They can sometimes flatten themselves out or hiss as a warning but they never bluff a strike (unlike other snakes which may strike with a closed mouth or just make a big show until you get the hint and leave them alone). They're amongst the fastest striking (if not THE fastest striking) snakes on the planet. Because they are so inactive and docile in appearance (my girlfriend thinks they're just gorgeous) keepers can become complacent and think that their snake will not strike because they very seldom move.

Obviously any venomous snake is dangerous and can be unpredictable, and ultimately the decision is yours. I'm not suggesting you don't keep elapids at all, just that for a first ven this one might not be the best choice. If you do still decide to get one, then be careful.

Cheers, Kris.

Yeah thanks kris, I realise there not the best for first time ven keepers, I would be better off with rbb or something like that, but as I said I'm not that interested in ven's, I have me python's for handling and the death adder would be solely for display with lot's of caution taken for feeding and cleaning. I have done simon's ven snake handling course and have been doing a bit of snake catching.

I really like the death adders they are just totally different to any other Australian snake.

Being a keeping of these any more info I can get off you would be good, as I want to do alot research before I get them

Thanks Duke

I beleive sexing can be done by examining the tail from the vent back. females, the change in thickness from the vent to the tail tip is quite pronounced where in males it tapers more smoothly (less pronounced). :)

I've done a few Death Adder threads recently, all with pictures (look in the Australian Snakes forum on this site).

Unlike others, I think they're an ideal first venomous snake. Just remember never to put your hand within striking range and you'll be fine (I could go further here, but I'd be leaving myself open to problems if you were ever bitten... read between the lines ;) ). I don't think there are great differences in temperament between the different races, but they are physiologically different and this is something worth keeping in mind.

I'd strongly recommend you go and get yourself copies of as many Death Adder articles as you're able to get your hands on, look in journals such as Herpetofauna and Monitor, over the last ten years or so there have been some great ones. Another one which is definately worth reading (I think it was published in Thylacinus in the 80's... I could be wrong) was one the Barkly Death Adder, written by Brian Barnett and Graeme Gow. I don't know where you'd be able to get a copy, I think mine is a a photocopy of a photocopy :p

Also have a good read of all the "bibles" (Cogger etc etc).

If Kris was still inside he'd obviously disagree about whether or not they're appropriate for first timers....but life would be so damned boring if we all agreed on everything now wouldn't it? :D

He would, however, agree completely about the need to read everything you can about them. The more knowledge and experience you get in them the better.

Having said that, I think they're brilliant animals, I especially love them from a safe distance with some sort of barrier between them and I :p (This is an especially good idea since I have neither the appropriate license or experience to handle them and I also lack the desire to get either :oops: I leave that to Kris lol) I was (perhaps foolishly?) quite excited the other day that I actually got to see one move and even feed for the first time. I've spent ages in front of their enclosure admiring them but had never seen them do much other than lie there....perhaps thinking to themselves that they wished to silly human who stares at them all the time would come a little closer so they could teach her not to invade their privacy all the time ;) I didn't realise just how fast they could move until dinner arrived :shock:

K i'm going to stop rambling now...for a minute.

Cheers, Kersten.

I agree with sdaji, our adders, although not true adders at all, are IMO the easiest and safest of all our hot herps to keep as long as one simple rule is followed,- dont touch them, always use a hook when they have to be moved. Simple as that.

Duke,

Where do you live? I know a breeder of Death Adders in western Sydney Unsure exactly what strain. Sydney Adders I think. I am going there tomorrow and if you are interested I'll hook you up.

He's fairly secretive and will probably want your number for him to call rather than me give you his number.

PM me if your interested.

BTW there is absolutly NO WAY of telling when the little buggers will strike, they are like lightning!

Casper

I'm interested my number 0422134452 after 5pm. I am chasing djarra form but as I said earlier I know very little about them and am open to any suggestion's, as long as they are young.

why do you want a death adder they're one of the most deadliest snakes in australia you're just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you get bitten you have 30 minutes to live!!! and people have before an antivenom is available when they got bitten by death adders so why do you want one you idiot

why does the sun come up in the morning.??

Haydz said:
why do you want a death adder they're one of the most deadliest snakes in australia you're just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you get bitten you have 30 minutes to live!!! and people have before an antivenom is available when they got bitten by death adders so why do you want one you idiot

Can we please keep personal attacks out of threads.

The same reason Duke wants a Death Adder... They're both fun to look at :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back