Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEC

Not so new Member
Reaction score
The Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (DECCW) is offering a number of reptiles for disposal through a ballot. The following species have been identified for the Department and are advertised as:

4 Eastern Snake-Necked Turtle (Chelodina longicollis)
1 Eastern Carpet Python (Morelia spilota mcdowelli)
1 Shingleback Lizard (Tiliqua rugosa)
1 Common Bluetongue (Tiliqua scincoides)
1 Eastern Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii)

Every effort has been made to correctly identify these animals. The Department cannot guarantee the identification of an animal offered though the ballot system.

These animals have been seized during recent law enforcement investigations. Some of these animals may have been caught in the wild and their original capture locations are unknown. The return of these animals to the wild is not a responsible conservation option.

The Department recommends that a veterinarian checks all animals received through the ballot system and a reptile hygiene protocol be followed.

If you wish to be included in the ballot you must register your interest by 9.00 AM Monday 20th September 2010. Registrations received after this time will not be accepted. You can register your interest by either a faxed message to 02 9585 6401 or an emailed message to [email protected]

Phone inquiries will not be accepted.

Your registration must include the following:

1. the words DECCW BALLOT in the title of your fax or email
2. your full name
3. your address
4. a prioritised list of the animals you would like to register for
5. your current NSW Animal Keepers’ Licence number authorising the possession of the animals you have registered for
6. your contact number between 11.00AM and 12:00PM on Monday 20th September 2010
7. NOTE: only one individual animal per licensee can be provided

Any registrations that do not include all of the above will be excluded from the ballot. Licences will be checked before the ballot. Expired licences or licensees whose fauna record books we have not received for 2010 will also be excluded from the ballot.

NB: If you are successful in the ballot you must be available to collect the animal from the Department’s Hurstville office between 1.30PM and 2.30PM on Tuesday 21st September 2010. If you intend to have someone collect the animals from our office on your behalf they must have permission from you IN WRITING. Verbal permission will not be accepted.

If you are successful:

1. you will be notified by phone between 11.00AM and 12.00PM on Monday 20th September 2010;
2. you must collect the animal from the Department’s Hurstville office between 1.30PM and 2.30PM on Tuesday 21st September 2010. If you are unable to collect your animal during this time it will be forfeited to the next available person; and
3. you must bring a bag (eg pillow case) and hard-shelled lockable container to transport your animal.

Get your ballots in folks! We are lucky to have this system in NSW.

yeah i use to live in nsw and got a couple of reptiles off a ballot, and now i live in victoria, i think ever state should have it as it gives the illegally caught animals a second chance as they cant just be released into the wild again.

Fuscus, in QLD they are offered to wildlife parks and demonstrators. I have received bits and pieces over the years. Usually it is basic stuff like Carpet Pythons, but there has been Perenties and Thorny Devils go through before.

They also have been offered to herp club members recently (at least in Townsville they have)

G'day Tsuabakai,

That's happened down here too, but generally only after wildlife parks and demonstrators have turned them down. Were the animals anything special?

The Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (DECCW) is offering a number of reptiles for disposal through a ballot. The following species have been identified for the Department and are advertised as:

4 Eastern Snake-Necked Turtle (Chelodina longicollis)
1 Eastern Carpet Python (Morelia spilota mcdowelli)
1 Shingleback Lizard (Tiliqua rugosa)
1 Common Bluetongue (Tiliqua scincoides)
1 Eastern Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii)

Every effort has been made to correctly identify these animals. The Department cannot guarantee the identification of an animal offered though the ballot system.

These animals have been seized during recent law enforcement investigations. Some of these animals may have been caught in the wild and their original capture locations are unknown. The return of these animals to the wild is not a responsible conservation option.

The Department recommends that a veterinarian checks all animals received through the ballot system and a reptile hygiene protocol be followed.

If you wish to be included in the ballot you must register your interest by 9.00 AM Monday 20th September 2010. Registrations received after this time will not be accepted. You can register your interest by either a faxed message to 02 9585 6401 or an emailed message to [email protected]

Phone inquiries will not be accepted.

Your registration must include the following:

1. the words DECCW BALLOT in the title of your fax or email
2. your full name
3. your address
4. a prioritised list of the animals you would like to register for
5. your current NSW Animal Keepers’ Licence number authorising the possession of the animals you have registered for
6. your contact number between 11.00AM and 12:00PM on Monday 20th September 2010
7. NOTE: only one individual animal per licensee can be provided

Any registrations that do not include all of the above will be excluded from the ballot. Licences will be checked before the ballot. Expired licences or licensees whose fauna record books we have not received for 2010 will also be excluded from the ballot.

NB: If you are successful in the ballot you must be available to collect the animal from the Department’s Hurstville office between 1.30PM and 2.30PM on Tuesday 21st September 2010. If you intend to have someone collect the animals from our office on your behalf they must have permission from you IN WRITING. Verbal permission will not be accepted.

If you are successful:

1. you will be notified by phone between 11.00AM and 12.00PM on Monday 20th September 2010;
2. you must collect the animal from the Department’s Hurstville office between 1.30PM and 2.30PM on Tuesday 21st September 2010. If you are unable to collect your animal during this time it will be forfeited to the next available person; and
3. you must bring a bag (eg pillow case) and hard-shelled lockable container to transport your animal.

question 4 what do i put for that ? 1 or in order of preference what id like to win please help thanks

hi i have put in for the ballot and am wondering if i win would someone from that area be able to pick it up for me? if so i will pay for fuel and AAE to the airport near where i live

Fuscus, in QLD they are offered to wildlife parks and demonstrators. I have received bits and pieces over the years. Usually it is basic stuff like Carpet Pythons, but there has been Perenties and Thorny Devils go through before.

i always wondered how people kept thorny devils considering the vast magnitude of ants that are required to feed them daily. gorgeous aminals but how many people (even wildlife parks) would be able to take these and care for them for an extended period of time?

question 4 what do i put for that ? 1 or in order of preference what id like to win please help thanks
If you only are interested in 1 animal, just write the name of that one. If you'd like several write:
Preferences:
1. (reptile you most want)
2. (another one you'd like)
3. etc.

i always wondered how people kept thorny devils considering the vast magnitude of ants that are required to feed them daily. gorgeous aminals but how many people (even wildlife parks) would be able to take these and care for them for an extended period of time?
an ant farm ?

G'day Tsuabakai,

That's happened down here too, but generally only after wildlife parks and demonstrators have turned them down. Were the animals anything special?

From memory there were two or three lots, mostly pythons and a couple of adult turtles. The only ones that stood out were a couple of half-decent jungles but otherwise it was just standard coastal carpets. To be honest I didn't pay that much attention as I would not want to bring animals of unknown history into my home. The main reason it was memorable was that it was the first time our local authorities had offered such a thing.

Wonder why they don't put any details about them - like their age or size or anything???

My son just got a call to say that he's won the eastern carpet & now I'm wondering if it'll be an advanced hatchie or an 8 foot monster! :lol:

Any recommendations on what we should do when we pick him/her up?? We were REALLY not expecting to win as we NEVER win anything!

Last edited:
Wonder why they don't put any details about them - like their age or size or anything???

My son just got a call to say that he's won the eastern carpet & now I'm wondering if it'll be an advanced hatchie or an 8 foot monster! :lol:

Any recommendations on what we should do when we pick him/her up?? We were REALLY not expecting to win as we NEVER win anything!

WOW, congrats.... you are going to need to rearrange something at home at this rate, you have really had a reptile explosion at your place recently haven't you ! !

re: the size of the coastal it could be anywhere from a hatchy to ~10ft :) i'm sure if you ring they will give you an approximate size of the newcomer, but you're right, they should give a guestimate of their size,

Does anyone know if there is something similar in SA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back