determing sex

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeth

Not so new Member
Reaction score
gday everyone,
i was just wondering how accurately you can tell the difference between a male and female small blotched python, judging by comparison of their tails.
I just bought a python off a mate and he informed me that it was definately female according to his breeder, yet the snakes tail is almost exactly the same size as my male's.
I was just wondering if i have any reason to be angry just yet.
any replys would be appreciated,
regards keeth

How old are the snakes, he might have quickly popped them.

rules out popping then, really the tail size is one of those guide things, it can never be gospel.
Probe them, or take them to a vet/herp friend who can help probe them for you.

My Stimsons have identical looking tails, yet are male and female. They were probed by a very trusted source whilst I watched.

thanks for sharing that info thats exactly what i wanted to hear :D

I have not heard of this sexing by the tail of the snake before.
I know some breeders can look at the tail just behind the vent and if there is a slight bulge it's a male. Is that what he meant?
Also the method I described is not 100% accurate.

ps. I'm not saying you can't sex snakes by the tail, just never heard of it before.

basically it is said that males have a much longer thicker tail than females to store their hemipenes whereas females have a much shorter tail that tapers off very quickly from the vent.

Keeth i have heard of this also the deal with the tail.
I had my guy's and girls done today and one i thought what was a female due to her tail and her spurs turned out that she was a he.
Can only really tell i think by probing.
The ones at 6in might be a bit to small to do as mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back