Diamond just started doing this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe theres a lot to be learnt from Jamies (Pythoninfinite) two posts. Any new keepers out there would do well to tap into his posts.

I`d say Jamie has hit the nail on the head with this one, those glass tanks are crap. Get him into a wooden enclosure with a proper heat gradient and basking spot and he should start eating again.

Thanks Norm ;). The main problem I see these days is with keepers who have access to these animals but who have no context for them anywhere but in a cage. To fully understand them (or as much as we can hope to) we need to understand how they function in their natural world and adapt it as we see fit. Information can be rather formulaic - as in "Diamonds should be kept cooler than other species..." but unless you can adapt this information with an understanding of how they go in the bush year-round, you just don't understand what is really needed for their long-term health. Average cooler temps may not mean cooler summer temps, it may, and probably does, mean a shorter period of full-day summer heating, and shorter periods of heat in the winter. The same with the UV thing - we hear less of that myth these days, but it still crops up from time to time to distort the understanding of new keepers.

Jamie

Thanks Norm ;). The main problem I see these days is with keepers who have access to these animals but who have no context for them anywhere but in a cage. To fully understand them (or as much as we can hope to) we need to understand how they function in their natural world and adapt it as we see fit. Information can be rather formulaic - as in "Diamonds should be kept cooler than other species..." but unless you can adapt this information with an understanding of how they go in the bush year-round, you just don't understand what is really needed for their long-term health. Average cooler temps may not mean cooler summer temps, it may, and probably does, mean a shorter period of full-day summer heating, and shorter periods of heat in the winter. The same with the UV thing - we hear less of that myth these days, but it still crops up from time to time to distort the understanding of new keepers.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie - we have a wooden enclosure so we're going to swap him into that as soon as the current resident sheds.

We'll give him 4 hrs a day of 32c and then turn it off for the rest -

good plan?

Thats a hot spot at 32-35. The animal needs to have the option to get away from that heat if they wish.
You need to measure the temp of the surface closest to the heat source. (Most rep keepers these days use a non contact thermometer)
No good relying on the temp shown on the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back