Diamond python help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyber_crimes

I was curious whether i could keep diamond pythons indoors permantly using uv lights and a calcium supplement?I have heard diamonds must be kept outdoors in an aviary because they need sunlight.Does anybody here keep there diamonds indoors? Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

Living in near freezing Victoria, I have no choice but to keep my Diamonds indoors as I do with all my snakes. I do supplement with calcium every now and again and also have lights emitting UV a & b.

The problem with Diamond python syndrome is that the cause is not completely understood. I have had mine in captivity now for six years and have bred them and witnessed none of the symptoms associated with Diamond python sydrome.

Franco

There are many arguments to if Diamonds need UV.

IMO - I think seeing as UV won't hurt them, then why run the risk of not giving them access to it.

I know lots of people with disagree with this, and there are probably lots who will agree, but this is just my opinion.

What do others think?

That's the philosophy that I have been working with Dan and I haven't noticed any harm from it.

My two cents..

I don't give my Diamond calcium suppliments as whole animals should ensure she has enough in her diet. I do however give her real sunlight as often as I can. To the best of my knowledge, UV does help with the absorbtion of calcium and hence is realted to good healthy growth, so I always try and get her into the sun when I can. She seems seem to enjoy it and it sure can't hurt. (Where I put her to bask she can move out of the sun at any time, but choses to stay and bask.)

I have read, (and wish I could find the damned paper again) a student thesis on calcium/UV and Diamond Python Syndrome. The paper showed analysis of blood which showed no link between DPS and calcium/UV. I have also read that DPS is more likely linked to keeping Diamonds too warm and not cooling them, but I digress...

I know that I try and give all my snakes a sit in the sun, but the Diamond is the only one that wants to stay put and bask, so I figure she must want/need it. If I didn't put her in the sun I would use a good UVA and UVB light source.

Hi Cyber, I have a twelve months' old diamond python that I intend to keep inside. I've done a lot of reading about them and can't see why you shouldn't be able to, but definitely put a UV light in your enclosure. It's not proven that it's a necessity, but better to be safe. Taking it out into the sunlight for 30 minutes every second day (or more) is still the best option and much better than any UV light.

Probably the most important thing is not to overfeed them, let them grow up slowly, in the first year I supplement calcium and vitamins every second feed, again, just in case.

It is very important not to keep the enclosure too hot and let them have a thermal gradient, and NO heat at nightl, and let them hibernate in winter.

There is an article on the front page of APS here about Diamond Python Syndrome that should be helpful to you.

Cheers Artie

Hi Nicole, Ruby loves to sunbake too, but for some reason only on the clothesline.
Won?t stay any other place for long.
Just thought I'd share that with you.
Artie
:)

Thanks Artie, it's good to hear what her sisters are up to!

...and yes Pinkie good advice. I take Tiff out on the balcony, but am always watching for predators when I do. I only once had to shoo a magpie away, and I think it was coincidence that it was there, but you can't be too careful...

Yeah Pinkie, that?s the trouble, I just have to sit their watching madam, till she had enough! :)

My little diamond almost never comes out during the day (when her UV tube is actually on) - unless it's feeding time - smart little snake, so I wonder if they actually recognise the presence of the UV. She does like to be outside - I walk around the garden with her on my arm and she seems to be comfortable with that. I will start doing what Nic does as soon as I get a chance to make up one of those mesh enclosures. 8)

Ok, well I guess I sould put up my opinion, just as a contrast. My eldest diamond is 3yrs old, and has never had a UV light, calcium supplements, nor has she ever been cooled over winter.So far so good. She is however, taken outside to get some sun whenever I get the chance to do it. I also plan on cooling her now that she's older.She'll also be put out into an aviary eventually.

But, I've spoken to breeders who don't have UV lights/supplements and who don't cool their animals unless they're going to breed them, and they have no problems at all. I've even spoken to a breeder that's never cooled his animals (or has UV etc for them) and he breeds them. His animals are over 10yrs old, and have no problems. His theory is that lack of exercise is one of the main things that can cause problems in diamonds.

In any case, I'd try to find as much info on the subject as you can before making a decision.Read articles, talk to breeders, and then go from there. :)

diamond problem solved

Just a quick thankyou to all who replyed. With a sleepless night last night my thoughts on what to do I have decided on housing all my species for several hours several days a week outdoors depending on temp.Today I put a deposit on a 6x6x4 aviary and intend to cover 1/2 the enclosure with green mesh to shade the light.I figured theyd benefit from sunlight and the price of purchasing an aviary as opposed to building one is only a small sacrifice in the back pocket for the comfort and health of my babies.
My main concern was the theft in the area but I will only house when somebody is home and can keep an eye on them. What a great idea this turned out to be.Not only will my diamonds be benefitting from natural daylight but all my species will be spending some time outdoors.As you can probably tell I am over the moon with the idea.Again thankyou to all concerned :D :D :D :D :D

Diamond/Carpet

I keep my D/C Python inside her 40gal.tank indoors. I do believe the use of U.V.B. bulbs helps. 8) She is 2yrs.old and loves to bask up in the branches under the lights. I installed a small fan in the hood,to give her a warm breeze. :) She never ever uses the ht/rock,so I use it at night for heating. I have read many books,an they say D/C Python like it alot cooler. I keep dy/temps 87-90deg.an let temps drop to 75-80deg at nite. She has hide boxs' but never uses them. :?: Daytime she sleeps up in branches and night she's on the prowl for rodents. :roll: I do take her outside when I have time and she always heads for the trees. One time I lefted her in the rose bush an ran inside to answer the phone, by the time I got back she snatched up a mocking bird! :twisted: :shock: I was worried about her eatting it but she had half of it down. :oops: It turned out fine,but I don't leave her unattended outside no more. :!: I don't have any pitchers of her,but she looks just like the one on the cover of PYTHONS: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual; BY: Patricia Bartlett; Erine Wagner 8)

Hey CC

it' so cool when a plan comes together, the help you get from other people on this site really save you making mistakes and help the thought processes. Glad you're getting what you want. 8)

CC,
Would love to see some piccies if you could! I am thinking of getting an aviary myself.
Cheers, Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back