Diamond Python Pink Belly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savvas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just fed Carbon my diamond python and noticed his belly looked pink. it appears to be along most of his body. His temps were a couple degrees high but nothing crazy and I've adjusted them.

I'm not new to keeping snakes so I have noticed this with other snakes as they approach a shed. Just curious as to whether you guys think this is just pre shed coloring or maybe something else?

In case any of you remember, this was the snake that I purchased that had a cyst. Even now... the cyst has not returned which is great.

View attachment 315692View attachment 315693

More than likely heading for a shed. I have noticed , particularly with albino olives, that when they feed prior to shedding they can have pink bellies. Perhaps the changes in their skin at this time cant handle the expansion when feeding.

Last edited:
It will be a pre-shed flush. Usually starts at the rear end, I'm sure you'll notice the indicators of an impending shed in the next day or two. Carpets in general, and Diamonds in particular, will flush pink or red around the forebody when feeding, which I guess is the increase in circulation in the tissues involved in the strenuous activity of swallowing prey.

Jamie

It will be a pre-shed flush. Usually starts at the rear end, I'm sure you'll notice the indicators of an impending shed in the next day or two. Carpets in general, and Diamonds in particular, will flush pink or red around the forebody when feeding, which I guess is the increase in circulation in the tissues involved in the strenuous activity of swallowing prey.

Jamie
That's awesome. This is my first diamond so I hadn't noticed that before with my other snakes or when I've fed him before.

I checked again today and it's gone. Like you said. Must've been a feeding flush.

Awesome.

Ha - sorry, didn't absorb that the OP said he/she had just fed the Diamond - so it wasn't a pre-shed flush, it was a feeding flush! :)!

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back