diamond pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

efi001

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a diamond for my second snake. I have a 3 year old spotted I have had since a hatchling and now want something a bit bigger. Are they good as pets? Should I start with a hatchling? Can anyone recommend a good breeder? When should I start looking on the for sale section? I live in Brisbane and would rather pick up than freight on in. Any input on the subject would be appreciated.

Don't know much about them as I have never owned one, but from other peoples post they seem to have a lot of needs that need to be met. I have heard they need a different temp from other pythons, a lot lower, and need to be cooled and have uv light?

They do require slightly less temp, 27 degrees is a good start, I've found to breed them you do need to sleep them and the uv thing is total crap. If your in Brisbane I would look at an outdoor aviary as they will do better. Don't feed them as much as you would a jungle or carpet and large water dish that they can submerge into to cool during hot days. I leave mine outside during winter and I get minus six degrees so u should be right in qld. Any questions pm me.

i have a pair of diamonds and its not that hard to care for them, they are better off having a high temp of 29 degrees.
there is a good thread called "my experience with DPS" you should read it.

also cooling an adult diamond is a must also. i do not use a uv or uvb light with my diamonds but some believe it also helps avoid DPS.

they are great pets and a hatchie is great as you can watch it grow, but a calm adult is also fine. look to buy one after you have done more reading on them and have an enclosure set up and ready to use.

I do not believe they are any harder to keep or needier than the other Morelia's - They have a differing heating requirement primarily being reduced hours of heat per day, and some also say a lower basking temp (30c Max) whilst others swear by normal basking temps but just reduce the hours. UV is not any more important for Diamonds than it is for another other breed.

Don't overfeed, don't offer too much heat each day and they should love you for it. (Remember - They are a cool/temperate climate snake - Not a tropical or sub tropical species).

There are some good threads here on DPS (Diamond Python Syndrome) that are worth using the search feature and reading - There is a lot of good info on Diamond husbandry in these threads from people with decades of experience. Some may even be receptive to a PM if you approached them for some advice.

I learnt a lot from these threads on how to care for mine as he grows older.

PS - Saintainger named one of the good threads above - Definitely give it a read.

I agree with Bart, not any harder to care for, just that they have different requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back