Did I do the right thing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe87

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hisskers is a 14 month old MD. He's about 80cm long and around 110g. He eats once a week, the food item being an adult mouse.(this is what the breeder was feeding him when I got him one month ago) he isn't a snappy snake and has taken every meal I've fed him including the one I gave him when he was shedding(as it was his first shed with me I wasn't 100% sure what was happening.) I fed him on Sunday and for that last three or so nights he has been cruising his click clack more than usual. He pooped today and when I got him out to clean up he was very much on edge. So I defrosted a mouse and he smashed it in under 5 minutes. My question is should I start feeding him at closer intervals until I'm out of mice and then knock up the prey size and go back to weekly feeds?
many thanks
zoe

Just upsize the food item and keep the feeds at weekly intervals. Which would either be larger sized fuzzy rats or weaner rats...

Personally I'd up his feed size a lot and pump him up in size as 110g is fairly small for a 14 month old MD. Not saying you have to or theres anything wrong with it being small but that is what I would do. Atleaat untill it's 300-400g

Last edited by a moderator:
Get him onto rats weekly. Either one rat to put a little bulge in his belly or two rats which are about as thick as he is. Do not feed any more than once a week.

I would feed him every 4-5 days... Once the mice are gone then try and switch him over to rats... There's no rush to switch him over, tho its easier for you once he does... If you stick with mice feed him every 4-5 days IMO.

Give him two mice at your regular intervals until you nearly finish them. Get a couple of small rats feed one mouse and one rat, do this a couple of times to get him used to rats then up the size of rat. This worked for me and made the change over to rats easy going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back