Difference between western and central netted dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onix95

Reaction score
what is the difference between the western and central netted dragon? and can you keep either in WA?

As far as I know only species from Western Australia are allowed to be kept there, but @Nero Egernia would be your best bet for answering your questions. She is from Western Australia and has kept Western Netteds.

Both species are native to Western Australia but only the Western Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus reticulatus) can be kept here. You'll need a category 3 reptile keeping licence or higher if you wish to keep them.

Last edited:
is there a difference in care because i cant find much information on the western netted but heaps on the central

I've never kept Central Netted Dragons but I have kept and bred Western Netted Dragons. Only have one left now. See pictures here and here.

From what I can tell their husbandry's fairly similar. They like a hot spot of 38-45°C. The remainder of the enclosure is left to ambient temperatures. Despite their diminutive size, these lizards are a highly active species and will appreciate a decent amount of space. A deep sandy substrate is perfect for them and I wouldn't house them on anything else. Oddly enough, I've seen people keeping them on paper-pellet cat litter! They feed predominantly on insects but will occasionally take greens. They have a high metabolism so feeding should be regular, everyday for juveniles and every 2-3 days for adults, maybe more depending on activity level. They'll drink from a water bowl, but I find spraying them to be just as effective, particularly with juveniles.

Research as much as you can. These books are a good start.

A Guide to . . . Australian Dragons in Captivity by Dr Dany Brown.
Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards edited by Mike Swan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back