Disappointed

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by fisherjayse, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fisherjayse

fisherjayse Not so new Member

Morning all, my kids searching the garden for snails to feed a wild blue tongue they have befriended in the front garden. Whilst upturning retaining wall stones they uncovered a baby snake, 60cm long, black in colour. Could be anything but high probability Marsh snake where we live on Midnorth coast.

I have kids and a pet dog, so want the snake relocated for everyones safety including the snake.

Rang Fauna..no help, rang Wires, no help, rang president of local herp group, no help...if its not inside threatening you we dont want to know. Sent them a picture as per request...nothing.

Sadly disappointed noone wants to help.

2. FAY

FAY Guest

Sounds like a small eyed snake. They are jet black.

3. grannieannie

grannieannie Very Well-Known Member

Yep, understand your frustration....

4. Bec

Bec Active Member

Call native animal trust fund the 24 hour number is 0418 628 483.
    They can't refuse to help you.

5. Ramsayi

Ramsayi Very Well-Known Member APS Veteran

There would be lots of reptiles in or around your yard it's just that you don't see them.If there is suitable habitat for them really there is no point in removing any that you find as others would move in to take their place.Much better to educate the kids and keep them away from areas that could house snakes.

6. snakerelocation

snakerelocation Active Member

The problem that you have is that the law states that all reptiles are protected and are only to be removed by a person that holds a damage mitigation permit, and that permit comes with the following clause: "The permit authorises only the removal of reptiles on request of the occupier of the premises, when human safety and well-being is compromised and not merely when the person is inconvienced by its presence"
    And that is why they wont do anything about it, because the law forbids it.

7. fisherjayse

Thanks for all the info guys and gurls.
    The end result of laws inhibiting relocating snakes will sadly result in more preventable reptile deaths...if people cant get it moved..they will kill it.

8. snakerelocation

snakerelocation Active Member

yeah tell me about it, i have that many calls a week, where i explain that my hands are tied, and the reply- ill hit it with a shovel.
    i think there should be certain bendable rules to allow for dangerously venomous, and large pythons, especially where kids are involved.
    I think most people are ok with pythons, but in my opinion a three meter python is just as dangerous to a infant as what an elapid is, the only difference is an elapid usually quickly dissapear..... ( even 99% of ebs dont want human confrontation) and pythons are generally curious.

9. fisherjayse

not sure if this photo will work