Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherjayse

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Morning all, my kids searching the garden for snails to feed a wild blue tongue they have befriended in the front garden. Whilst upturning retaining wall stones they uncovered a baby snake, 60cm long, black in colour. Could be anything but high probability Marsh snake where we live on Midnorth coast.

I have kids and a pet dog, so want the snake relocated for everyones safety including the snake.

Rang Fauna..no help, rang Wires, no help, rang president of local herp group, no help...if its not inside threatening you we dont want to know. Sent them a picture as per request...nothing.

Sadly disappointed noone wants to help.

Call native animal trust fund the 24 hour number is 0418 628 483.
They can't refuse to help you.

There would be lots of reptiles in or around your yard it's just that you don't see them.If there is suitable habitat for them really there is no point in removing any that you find as others would move in to take their place.Much better to educate the kids and keep them away from areas that could house snakes.

The problem that you have is that the law states that all reptiles are protected and are only to be removed by a person that holds a damage mitigation permit, and that permit comes with the following clause: "The permit authorises only the removal of reptiles on request of the occupier of the premises, when human safety and well-being is compromised and not merely when the person is inconvienced by its presence"
And that is why they wont do anything about it, because the law forbids it.

Thanks for all the info guys and gurls.
The end result of laws inhibiting relocating snakes will sadly result in more preventable reptile deaths...if people cant get it moved..they will kill it.

yeah tell me about it, i have that many calls a week, where i explain that my hands are tied, and the reply- ill hit it with a shovel.
i think there should be certain bendable rules to allow for dangerously venomous, and large pythons, especially where kids are involved.
I think most people are ok with pythons, but in my opinion a three meter python is just as dangerous to a infant as what an elapid is, the only difference is an elapid usually quickly dissapear..... ( even 99% of ebs dont want human confrontation) and pythons are generally curious.

not sure if this photo will work
X9A8c769NUZrAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

What the....
Just in case anyone is interested...that link is over 65,500 characters long...impressive!

Last edited:
Couldnt agree more with post #9, really hit the nail on the head lol.

Try not to judge the rescue groups too harshly, there's often not much they can do. We're not really supposed to send rescuers out if an animal is outside and in its natural habitat. And since most of the groups are staffed by volunteers, they don't have the people to go out for every snake call. Every rescue group I know of is seriously short of people, especially for relocating potentially venomous snakes.

I try to give people advice on how to encourage the snake to move out of their yard, but sometimes that's all that I can do. The snakes usually move on if left alone for a couple of hours anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because it's a snake in it's own native environment, leave it alone, and keep an eye on your dogs behaviour. We are in the snakes environment and we should respect that. Volunteer organizations already have their hands full dealing with sick and injured and injured animals without attending every amateur horticulturist who happens to have disturbed a reptile, existing happily in an ecosystem in which it has thrived since before the scourge of humanity was ever visited on this beautiful planet.

Did you have to put it up again ramsayi and who the bloody hell has time to type all that out

There would be lots of reptiles in or around your yard it's just that you don't see them.If there is suitable habitat for them really there is no point in removing any that you find as others would move in to take their place.Much better to educate the kids and keep them away from areas that could house snakes.

pretty much this..

just think if you weren't out there turning over everything you probably would have never seen it at all and it wouldn't have been a problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back