Disgust for Petshops.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scag

Reaction score
Hi, i went into an aquarium today in parramatta which sold scorpions and T's in there own little enclosures, they were using bark chips as a substrate for the T's, for the Yashenkoi substrate the used about 2mm of desert sand, they also used black sand for the manicas. the water bowls had no water just a HUGE ball of cotton wool. All these where also housed unter bright fluro lights. Anyway im disgusted post all your pet shop hate here.

Thanks.

this i my first post on here and all i can say is be educated about the species before u get on a public forum and have a go at people about what u have seen.

i know that pet shop dont worry they know nothing
in merrylands i went to the petshop (my baby needed dog treats) and looking at vthe small maltese puppies one had a completley matted bum which included poo and it was all just disgusting. some pet shops are ok but most are just about business. u should hear some of the stuff they tell buyer its all bullcrap then i get these puppies in our vet clinic and for puppy preschool and they dont know anything about a puppy or dog

i thought some scorps you were meant to put moist cotton wool in for them because they dont drink standing water ? (correct if im wrong ive never kept them)

thats exactly right so why bag them out if u dont know anything about the species, didnt any one learn anything from that last b/s thread where people made aquastions that were unfounded.

2mm of desert sand would be standard practice in a pet shop for a Scorp. They don't want them to burrow, otherwise who would but something they are probably hardly going to see once it's home. I certainly don't agree with it, but understand why they would keep them in conditions like that. The cotton ball and water, now that's just mis-imformation I've even seen in books and I'd point it out the the shop owner. I agree if they are going to sell a certain species they should at least have some basic husbandry details right in the display tank.

cotton wool dampened is a very standard practice for scorps

lets all bag some one elses techniques because we dont or havent kept that species before. reading information in a book is no substute for the actuall experince of keeping a species watching it grow and reproduce and living well and healthy.

2mm of desert sand would be standard practice in a pet shop for a Scorp. They don't want them to burrow, otherwise who would but something they are probably hardly going to see once it's home. I certainly don't agree with it, but understand why they would keep them in conditions like that. The cotton ball and water, now that's just mis-imformation I've even seen in books and I'd point it out the the shop owner. I agree if they are going to sell a certain species they should at least have some basic husbandry details right in the display tank.

sorry to hijack this thread a lil bit, but just to clarify scorps dont use the cotton wool and should have a water bowl ??? is that what you saying ?? only reason i ask is i wanan get some eventually and id like to keep them correctly...

i thought some scorps you were meant to put moist cotton wool in for them because they dont drink standing water ? (correct if im wrong ive never kept them)

Not unless you're trying to create a humid enviroment for the species. yaschenkoi certainly doesn't need a moist environment as water will be gained from the food and from the substrate if kept properly.

Not unless you're trying to create a humid enviroment for the species. yaschenkoi certainly doesn't need a moist environment as water will be gained from the food and from the substrate if kept properly.

cool cool. thanks for that info

liberty pull ur head in plz we r just saying the way that SOME pet shops keep there animals are inhumane. and ur telling us not to abuse people before we know the facts take ur own advise how do u know that i have never keep scorps.
fyi i have kept scorps quite successfully!

cotton wool dampened is a very standard practice for scorps

lets all bag some one elses techniques because we dont or havent kept that species before. reading information in a book is no substute for the actuall experince of keeping a species watching it grow and reproduce and living well and healthy.

I'm not quoting my experiance from a book, I'm quoting most books as being plain wrong. Half the websites I've visited on the subject are also wrong. I am currently keeping scorpions and am in daily contact with much more experianced owers than myself.

sorry to hijack this thread a lil bit, but just to clarify scorps dont use the cotton wool and should have a water bowl ??? is that what you saying ?? only reason i ask is i wanan get some eventually and id like to keep them correctly...

Most Scorpions take their water up through osmosis ?(sp). They don't simplt go down to the water hole to drink.

I don't no anything about scorps! but using bark chips as a substrate for the T's is'ent the best thing, especially when the T's having a molt and bright fluro lights are no go's with T's to......:(
and liberty chill man...... ;)

i know it is ridiculous lol i am just up the road from them at work in the vets it is funni what buyers pay for their stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back