DIY Enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sniffmylizard

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I had a baby Panoptes arriving last week and new I had to put something together while the monitor was a juvenile. I was racking my brains for a few weeks to come up with a build that would be large enough for the first for part of its life before it goes outside. While walking around in Bunnings I was looking at the racking options and started to think. With a quick picture in my head and an image of the finished product in my mind this is what I came up with. The racking is rated to 200kg's per shelf which is great for my 2 Giant URS enclosures to sit on. Initially the whole bottom was going to be open for the Panoptes but she is still very small and I have divided it until she gets a little bigger and more confident. Once it is undivided it will be 2400mm L x 610mm D x 800mm H. With a bit of Qublock from Capral, mouse mesh, screws, MDF/Wood sealer and a few hours I have a new feature wall.

From this

Bunnings shelf.jpg
to this.

Right Enclosure.jpg
Left enclosure.jpg
Wall enclosure.jpg
Introducing Nilly. Little monitor
Nilly.jpg
Big attitude.
Nilly1.jpg

Awesome mate. I thought the same thing when I saw those shelves. What are the exact shelf sizes?
Gorgeous little monitor too. I really like Panoptes

Awesome, congrats on the Panoptes, I'm envious :)

They're not 'shy' little critters are they :lol:

Awesome, congrats on the Panoptes, I'm envious :)

They're not 'shy' little critters are they :lol:
No shyness at all. So different from the smaller monitors.

The shelves are 1200 long and 609 deep. The height varies but mine are 800mm $139.

Nice conversion, mate. Very well done.

I love those Bunnings shelves. Have one with a few Exo's sitting on it at the moment.

S/He is lovely :) How cute! They are awesome monitors to own.

I would get rid of the mouse mesh urgently - it acts like a cheese grater when the animals get restless and try to get out, the lizard will lose most of its nose and probably some claws in an hour or two if it has access to this dangerous material. Highly risky for any reptile to have access to this stuff, except maybe on an aviary outside.

Jamie

Very nice, thanks for sharing, any closeups of the two glass tanks?

Just realised you were in Darwin....why not build a pit type structure using a plastic water trough/ corrugated "garden bed" with a marine ply base (or something water proof) on wheels....may alleviate the potential for a nose rub problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up guys with the mesh. I have some perspex ready to go if any of that type of behaviour starts. She is not flighty and has not yet displayed restlessness. She basks and hides. My substrate border is180mm high so when she walks around she is under the mesh level.
I can imagine the mesh would be bad for their toes once they are heavier? Please any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

sml, I'd replace the mesh immediately - you'll only need to be out for an hour or two and will come home to a very badly, permanently damaged lizard. Don't wait for it to happen before acting to prevent it. You won't be able to predict why or when, but it WILL happen and you'll regret not taking this advice. I'm sure all monitor and dragon keepers will support my suggestion.

If it was my lizard, I'd double-bag it now, until I fixed the problem - I wouldn't leave it in there a minute longer than I had to.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back