DIY Rat breeding cages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockie_1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
unymazu5.jpg

I recently acquired 6 rats (3 female, 3 male) to start breeding for food purposes. I have had them all together in a large bird cage for the last week and a half, but yesterday I came home to find two had gotten out somehow. I knew I would need to separate them soon into pairs but this has made it seem a higher priority.
Could you please tell me the dimensions of these and how they are working out for you?
Thanks a bunch.

Simple idea but very effective.

Just make sure the tubs are Smooth on the inside. Any lip or protruding edge can be the starting point for chewing.

invest in some humane rat trapd to catch runaways and prevent an outbreak or property damage.

If you want the most effective look into a rat rack. Same theory as these just stacked up

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks. I was going to grab some 52L containers from Bunnings and wire, and make something similar to the commercial tubs.
I'll look into the racks, thanks for the heads up. Do the lids need to be secured? I would have thought so but in the above images they do not appear to be?
I caught the two that got out, they didn't go far, just went and snuggled in the hay I had lying around. But yes, from this experience rat traps would be a good idea.

Amber, for future knowledge, its better to have double the females to males.
Some people run the ratio of 2 to 1
And rotate the girls out to ensure the males arent in the same tank during birth and upbringing of the young.
you could successfully have 5 females to 1 male and rotate them and potentially produce 1 litter on a fortnightly basis.

That makes sense. I'll look into getting more females after I've got my cages set up. Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back