DIY

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiana Russell

Reaction score
I have a 6foot tank and wondering what would be the best thing to use to make a liftable piece.

the 6foot tank needs a cover on the top so I was wondering what I should use and how to do it

To give advice on lids for aquariums used as enclosures, people need to know what is going to be kept in the tank, where it is going to be located in the house and the approximate geographic location (to determine climate). If there is a need for heating, UV lighting, high or low ventilation, heat insulation, non-damaging material for potential nose-ubbing etc. are all important considerations. These cannot be determined without the aforementioned information.

To give advice on lids for aquariums used as enclosures, people need to know what is going to be kept in the tank, where it is going to be located in the house and the approximate geographic location (to determine climate). If there is a need for heating, UV lighting, high or low ventilation, heat insulation, non-damaging material for potential nose-ubbing etc. are all important considerations. These cannot be determined without the aforementioned information.
so I'm looking to put reptile in the tank and I will be putting it in a insulated shed and I will be using uv lighting as well

We really need to know what species of reptile, approximately where it is from (if you know) and where you are located. For example, if you intend to keep a Shingleback in Brisbane, then you would need to try and reduce the humidity, especially so if was the south-western subspecies rugosa rugosa, rather than eastern subspecies rugosa asper. This means that maximum ventilation becomes a critical factor. In contrast, a Bluetongue from the east coast of Queensland would be right at home in Brisbane’s humidity, so ventilation is not so critical. Similarly for say a Woma versus a Coastal Carpe, or a Jacky versus a Southern Angle-headed Dragon. If you want a relevant response to your question, then you need to supply these details. Otherwise it becomes guesswork or generalisations on behalf of the respondent.

The other advantage to being specific is that individuals who keep or have previously kept that species under similar climatic conditions can give the benefit of their personal experience, and maybe even a few useful tips on husbandry that you are not expecting.

If you have not selected the species you intend to keep yet, then ask for feedback on the types of reptiles you are currently considering. This will then allow forum members to give you the benefit of their experience with the various animals. We really do want to help and not just fob you off with any old reply.

Ive used black aluminium angle from the tile Shop and perforated alloy sheeting sold as gutter guard. It comes together nicely and looks mint.

Latest posts

Back