do all geckos lose their tails?

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Conner the dragon, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Conner the dragon

Conner the dragon Not so new Member

was just wondering if all geckos drop their tails. I'm thinking of getting one was wondering if they all do or if there some that don't. if there are some that don't drop tails what are they ?
    i tried google but it just tells me what to do if they drop

2. Chris1

Chris1 cupcake Subscriber

N Amyae don’t seem to, but that’s not much of a tail anyway,....

3. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Some are more prone to it than others, but I believe all geckoes can drop (autotomise) their tails. Most of the species which in captivity make reasonably good handlers are not prone to dropping them in captivity.

4. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Active Member

The little g.hyra dubia I had for observation for a couple of weeks never dropped his tail , even when I held him in my hand or when he made his great escape the other night and disappeared under the lounge or some other furniture.

I've handled several in my time (mostly when I was a kid) and only saw one drop it's tail on being caught. Dropping the tail is an expensive thing for a lizard to do , as it takes a lot of energy and food to regenerate a tail.

I have been told , like some skinks, geckos will sometimes drop a tail when laying a clutch of eggs , or when confronted by / chased off by a dominant gecko.

Tags: