do i need a licence??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animallove

Reaction score
hi all,
i just need some clarification. a couple of days ago i asked a question about licencing if i intended on only getting one snake. i was toldby one person that as long as im not going to sell or breed it i dont need a licence for one. but just moment ago i was told that i do infact need a licence no matter weather i am going to breed or wha ever.
can some one please answer my question and tell me in south australia do i need a licence if i intend to purchase (not sell or breed) ONE snake??
thanks guys,
animallove :?

In south Australia you do not need a license if you only keep one animal.

just remember that '1 individual' means exactly that ONE individual protected species,

the protected list numbers ~200 species, which includes mammals, birds and reptiles so you can have ONE of them it does not mean you can have

1 x Black duck (yes it is on the list LOL )​
1 x Childrens python
1 x Yellow-spotted Monitor

do you have any other pets ? birds or reptiles ?

i do have a baby turtle and one older turtle but i was told that i dont need a licence for them because they arn't protected species.
thanks for all the help :)
animallove

as has been said above, one (protected) reptile and you wont need a licence. However, might i recommend getting one anyway. I did the same thing, but found that within a month i wanted another reptile, so had to apply for one then. so you may as well just bow to the inevitable, and accept that you will want another one soon! :D

You can have another in your mum or dads or Gfs name if living in the same house but will charge you if you wont to get them put into your name after..
So if you only wont to have the one python your fine ..but if you wont more do it the right way of it will end up costing your more!!!
enjoy!

You can have another in your mum or dads or Gfs name if living in the same house but will charge you if you wont to get them put into your name after..
So if you only wont to have the one python your fine ..but if you wont more do it the right way of it will end up costing your more!!!
enjoy!

Hate to be a spelling policeman but can people please type "want" if they mean "want", and "won't" if they mean "won't"? It can get very confusing in certain situations :p

my post was aimed at Jamesbecker as he said yes you do need a licence twice in each of your threads which is not correct if you only have 1 animal from the basic species list.

and as ingie said and as i have posted a link in your other thread read this Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Fauna Permits

quote from fauna site: A permit is not required to keep 1 individual, however the sale or disposal of that individual animal would require a permit.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/biodiversity/faunapermits/pdfs/fape_pdfs_list_basic_animals.pdf this is the basic list of animals you can keep on a basic permit if u have 1 of these already you will need a permit to get a python.

hope thats cleared it up for you.

i do have a baby turtle and one older turtle but i was told that i dont need a licence for them because they arn't protected species.
thanks for all the help :)
animallove

from the site

"A "protected animal" means: (a) any mammal, bird or reptile indigenous to Australia; "

so, assuming these turtles are native (which they would be unless they are exotic which is illegal to keep) you will need a license as you keep 2 protected animals and want to get another... i may be wrong though, as i dont live in SA.

and driftoz, i made a mistake, who cares? lifes goes on

and as said in other posts since she lives with her parents one turtle can be her mums one can be her dads and she can get a python with no licence, you could have 5 people in a house and could have 5 snakes 1 for each person, but it could just be easier to get a licence anyway sicne this hobby is addictive and she may be wanting another reptile very soon lol

from the site

"A "protected animal" means: (a) any mammal, bird or reptile indigenous to Australia; "

so, assuming these turtles are native (which they would be unless they are exotic which is illegal to keep) you will need a license as you keep 2 protected animals and want to get another... i may be wrong though, as i dont live in SA.

and driftoz, i made a mistake, who cares? lifes goes on

The full section that you refer to states:

"protected animal" means--

(a) any mammal, bird or reptile indigenous to Australia; or

(b) any migratory mammal, bird or reptile that periodically or
occasionally migrates to, and lives in, Australia; or

(c) any animal of a species referred to in Schedule 7, 8 or 9;
or

(d) any animal of a species declared by regulation to be a species of
protected animals,

but does not include animals of the species referred to in Schedule 10 or any animals declared by regulation to be unprotected;

and the 'Long-necked Turtle" (C02017) and the "Murray river turtle" (E02034) fall in to the exempt (unprotected) category...... so if this is what she has, and she was told that what she bought are not protected and therefore did not require a permit, she can buy a snake, from the protected list, and does not require a permit.

when i bought the small turtle my boss at the pet shop where i work said i didn't need a licence because im pretty sure
he said it was a murray river and the same as the other bigger one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back