Do I need a thermostat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
I've noticed on here a few members advocating timers over thermostats.

I have just purchased a thermostat for my spotted python hatchling (picking him/her up on Australia Day). Is this something I need?

As background I live in Wagga where the average summer temp is 32 (but we had run of days over 40 last week) and the average winter temp is 13 (colder at night, often down to 0).

I have my snakes setup in my bedroom which can be air-conditioned in exceptionally hot weather, but has no heating option for winter (for the room itself, the snake will obviously have heating).

Under these conditions is it better to have a thermostat? What else would I use to control temps.

A thermostat is best for the situation your describing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tbh I wouldn’t bother with a thermostat if you have aircon, but on warm days it’s good for the peace of mind if you are going out... I just turn mine off at the wall after 10am on days it’s going to be hotter than 32..but a timer could do that for you.

NoThings happened to my snakes without a proper thermostat besides the basic ones that come
With heat mats. Not to say something won’t happen to your guys. So it is up to you really.

TLDR; is it NEEDED? No.
is it better to be safe than sorry and get one? yes.

Tbh I wouldn’t bother with a thermostat if you have aircon, but on warm days it’s good for the peace of mind if you are going out... I just turn mine off at the wall after 10am on days it’s going to be hotter than 32..but a timer could do that for you.

NoThings happened to my snakes without a proper thermostat besides the basic ones that come
With heat mats. Not to say something won’t happen to your guys. So it is up to you really.

TLDR; is it NEEDED? No.
is it better to be safe than sorry and get one? yes.

Wouldnt get a thermostat because u have aircon ??? Pretty bad advice to give someone IMO

Of course this can be done without a thermostat but that needs to be done carefully with the selection of an appropriate sized/positioned heat source and a reliable timer.
If you can guarantee that the air temp in your room can't get above a critical temp then it might be worth pursuing but given that high temps even for a couple of hours could be fatal I would suggest using the thermostat for your first snake while you learn.

You can always do trials at a more appropriate time of year rather than in the middle of summer.

Wouldnt get a thermostat because u have aircon ??? Pretty bad advice to give someone IMO

Because I work I'm concerned about if the aircon fails - for example if there is a blackout (which happens from time to time in summer) the aircon won't turn back on automatically.
Of course this can be done without a thermostat but that needs to be done carefully with the selection of an appropriate sized/positioned heat source and a reliable timer.
If you can guarantee that the air temp in your room can't get above a critical temp then it might be worth pursuing but given that high temps even for a couple of hours could be fatal I would suggest using the thermostat for your first snake while you learn.

You can always do trials at a more appropriate time of year rather than in the middle of summer.
Thanks - would much rather be safe than sorry.

Additionally I work 9-5 so I cannot monitor during the hottest part of the day, I think it will put my mind at ease to have a thermostat.

Let me rephrase what I said, on hot days where even an air con won’t help I’d turn heat off, on days like 30~ degrees an air con would help heaps. Obviously a thermostat is a safe choice no matter what. Unless you buy a cheap knockoff.
[doublepost=1515653590,1515653502][/doublepost]
Because I work I'm concerned about if the aircon fails - for example if there is a blackout (which happens from time to time in summer) the aircon won't turn back on automatically.

Thanks - would much rather be safe than sorry.

Additionally I work 9-5 so I cannot monitor during the hottest part of the day, I think it will put my mind at ease to have a thermostat.
If you leave the house on hot days you can just turn heat off.

There’s also chances that thermostats can fail and be lots worse than an aircon failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back