Do reverse paradox exist?What’s your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Jackk2775, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Jackk2775

Jackk2775 New Member

I have a caramel pepper jag who has recently started showing white patches in differed areas of its body. One of its off spring from 2016 has white coming through which is appearing more and more with each shed. This has been noticeable for around 1.5 years. What are your thoughts. Is there a reverse paradox? Iv checked the sheds and there was no damaged scales.
    Pics of both sire and one of its off spring (bottom)

BF5963F4-878A-4228-8721-D7216569260B.jpeg

DE1576A1-A225-4E90-82BA-931441C52F5E.jpeg

CCADDCB3-589F-4A29-B372-188FD4171B82.jpeg

2. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

We're still not exactly sure whar a paradox is, but 'reverse paradox' doesn't mean anything/doesn't make sense, and what you have here is working on a completely different and unrelated mechanism. Whatever paradox is, it's congenital. Whatever yours is, is ontogenetic. I suppose those two things aren't mutually exclusive, but to look at it from another angle, paradox snakes contain two different genotypes (we don't know the mechanism which causes that result but we do know they have multiple genotypes, which is generally unusual) and your snake is certain enough to have the normal number of genotypes (one).

Herptology likes this.
  3. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

Can u explain why the typical albino paradox blacks can’t be pushed off into offspring? For example you can line breed a random stripe on one animal + another animal with a stripe and this will show in the offspring

When this comes to paradox, I.e keeping the black... nothing!

Drives me insane trying to put 2and2 together

On topic, I saw a post with a stimsons python that showed the same thing, wasn’t a paradox was just a weird freak haha looked really cool

4. Jackk2775

Jackk2775 New Member

--- Automatic Post Merged, Oct 28, 2019, Original Post Date: Oct 28, 2019 ---
    I can’t explain it. K brothers did a youtube vid with Wayne parks which includes the paradox morph. Check it out it’s pretty good.
    I put my male back over the offspring so hopefully see something interesting when she lays.

AaronLovesPythons likes this.
  5. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Well-Known Member

I have a gravid paradox albino Darwin that I mated with a het male that has sired a few with minor paradox markings but nothing spectacular so we will see what happens.
    This female exhibits additional visible paradox like marks when she is about to shed, not sure what that means.
    There is a breeder of albino Darwins that claims to be be able to line breed paradoxes and he has some for sale so it must be possible.
    I heard Wayne Larks paradox died?

Jackk2775 likes this.
  6. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it died of a massive tumour in its face :(

Jackk2775 likes this.
  7. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Plenty of misinformation in that video had me cringing!
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Oct 28, 2019 ---
    Paradox is not a mutation which involves the changing of any particular genes/alleles. A paradox snake has two different genotypes in the same snake. Each cell in the body is either one type or another. When the snake breeds, only one genotype is used to produce each gamete (sperm or egg) so the offspring are generally normal. To whatever extent paradox is heritable we can attribute the heritability of the mechanism which causes the condition to occur. For example, many people consider it to be a strange type of chimerism, and the are some heritable factors which make the production of chimeras more likely, so in some cases you can select in this way. For that reason, a chimera from a line which produces many chimeras (or paradox or twins or Siamese twins etc) is more likely to produce more chimeras than a phenotypically identical snake which popped up at random, but this is highly unpredictable.

You'll probably need to spend some time looking up some of the terms above and give it some thought to wrap your head around the concept, but if it's too confusing, you can just know that paradox is not a medelian trait or a polygenic trait, it works on an entirely different genetic mechanism which your knowledge of basic genetics is not relevant to.

If you're feeling bad for being confused, keep in mind that this would test the comprehension of many of the people I studied genetics at university with (which also makes me feel a bit better for being unable to easily explain it to herpers!).

Jackk2775 likes this.