Do Water Dragons eat fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who used to own one and she said she had a little pond that she would put feeder fish into. I had never considered dragons eating fish before and haven't really seen any care sheets that say it. So just wondering if anyone else does it and is it a staple or just a treat?

I was talking to a friend who used to own one and she said she had a little pond that she would put feeder fish into. I had never considered dragons eating fish before and haven't really seen any care sheets that say it. So just wondering if anyone else does it and is it a staple or just a treat?
The guy I got my Bearded Dragon off put some white clouds in with his water dragon and it ate them so I guess they do, don't see why they wouldn't if they can catch them.

I've got 2 little Water Dragons in a 6 ft enclosure and there is a tub/pool of water at each end and my boyfriend has put a couple of Minot [little fresh water fish- I dunno if that's how you spell their name] in there and they seem to have gone missing but I have never actually seen Eragon or Saphira take one down. But yeah. I like to give them a variety of things to munch on.

Hmmm how interesting. I never got another dragon because the ones I had were boring but having one that swims and even fishes could be a bit more fun

I love them. They're so awesome and look cool. Entertaining. Mesmerising. I could look at/watch them all day. They're very interesting. Go for it! =] They go to the toilet in the water too so it's convenient to have removeable water bowls I find. But obviously a decent enough size for them to swim/bathe/feel safe in as well. They eat various things so that makes them great to keep too.

iphone 4 t rex 018.jpgfist baby photos 004.jpgfist baby photos 002.jpgiphone 4 t rex 012.jpgiphone 4 t rex 023.jpgiphone 4 t rex 020.jpgiphone 4 t rex 012.jpgfist baby photos 006.jpg

My Male T- Rex ( king of the lizards ) who is about 3 years old !

Two females same age -
Choas - shes a real #itch dont like humans
Cutie - loves humans and is pregies

This is there indoor WINTER enclosure. Two storeys high and full switchboard and climate controlled enclosure they even get luke water water every nite instead of cold water !!!!

But they are really fussy eaters !

Attachments

• fist baby photos 001.jpg
    fist baby photos 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 327
But they are really fussy eaters ![/QUOTE]

So, what's you answer to the question? Do they eat fish?

Thanks for the pics KMan. Do these guys eat fish?

I wish saximus but i can try ! the amount i have spent on these three its unbelievable i was paying $65.00 a fort for 2000 crickets and then they would stop eating and i give them mealworms and Pinkie Mice and they love LIVE Pinkie Mice.

but i gather they would eat anything that moves they dont like veggies or anything that dont have a heart beat

You could offer some to the water dragon and see of he eats it. If he does you have your answer. Does he watch you eat, he might need to see you eat it to know it's food , or if he's a greedy gutz, he might taste it and eat it right away.

My little mate Lizzy the Eastern Water Skink (our house-lizard) has eaten little bits of ham, cooked turkey, lamb, beef (little bits off my steak), chicken (diced), and even little offerings of cooked fish. But I think Lizzy is very opportunistic and will eat most anything he see us eating if we leave a little bit of it for him on his food treat lid on the kitchen floor.
Lizzy smells new stuff before he takes it off the dish to eat it, but Lizzy watched us like a hawk when he saw us in the kitchen or eating breakfast or lunch or dinner (in summer).

Haha yeah I'd love to see them trying to fish them out. My friend said hers would flick them out of the water and jump on them once they were on land.

Ian you seem to have had a very original experience with your little friend :p

View attachment 199550View attachment 199549View attachment 199548View attachment 199544View attachment 199546View attachment 199545View attachment 199544View attachment 199543

My Male T- Rex ( king of the lizards ) who is about 3 years old !

Two females same age -
Choas - shes a real #itch dont like humans
Cutie - loves humans and is pregies

This is there indoor WINTER enclosure. Two storeys high and full switchboard and climate controlled enclosure they even get luke water water every nite instead of cold water !!!!

But they are really fussy eaters !

T's really handsome.

Cripes - not cheap to feed them .... maybe you could try cat or dog food and give them live bugs for treats.

Tadpoles that you collect yourself might be an option if you have access to farm dams maybe ?

Last edited:
Cripes - not cheap to feed them .... maybe you could try cat or dog food and give them live bugs for treats.
To quote a very intelligent man from this site - "Cat and dog food is for cats and dogs"
When the bills get this expensive that's when a lot of people choose to start breeding their own

No one seems to have told the bluetongue lizard that lives in my garden who knicks the dog food from the bowl of the neighbour's dogs or the one that my mum caught stealing her dog's doggy pellets from right under her dog's nose (her dog was crying and whimpering while the big scary lizard was stealing her dinner and that's how she discovered why her dog was always hungry).

But yes , those foods are meant for cats and dogs. But lizards are opportunists and if there is a free feed on offer ....

Last edited:
lol what sort of dog is afraid of a bluey? Yeah they will definitely eat those foods in captivity but they shouldn't be fed that as a staple (my opinion anyway)

I wish saximus but i can try ! the amount i have spent on these three its unbelievable i was paying $65.00 a fort for 2000 crickets and then they would stop eating and i give them mealworms and Pinkie Mice and they love LIVE Pinkie Mice.

but i gather they would eat anything that moves they dont like veggies or anything that dont have a heart beat
Mine adult female eats veggies, fruit and anything that moves. She even tried to eat the plastic plant I had in with her and I had to take it out, lol. I am sure she would eat fish if I gave them to her. When I first got her I was told and read they never eat veggies and fruit in captivity but my girl loves it all.

You're a funny guy SL. Unfortunately you will notice that either those responses don't talk specifically about EWDs or they just lump it in as one of the many things they can eat. I was more interested in whether people feed them as a staple in captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back