Do you believe in macroevolution?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Surroundx, Feb 18, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

94 vote(s)
    82.5%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. I'm not sure

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Australis

Australis Almost Legendary

Come on Just_Plain_Nuts put it on the table how old do you "believe" the earth is ?

Im open to change.. as long as it is supported by evidence real evidence.

I will admit i tend not to accept information from a book written by illiterate goat herders over centuries of accumulated Scientific discovery. Every time i go to a doctor and accept modern western medicine i make this distinction between trust in Science and trust in BS.

2. Jamesss

Jamesss Active Member

The phrase of Isaiah 40:22, "the circle of the earth" is very true. The interpretation says that the word "circle" means "sphere" indicating that the earth is a sphere. This view seems most unlikely since we have all ready seen that the Hebrew word gh means "circle," and it seems very remote that it means "sphere" because of the context, and there is a better Hebrew word for "sphere," rwd. In Isaiah 22:18 the word rwd is translated "ball." If the LXX translators understood gh as "sphere," they would have used the Greek word sfairoeides.

^^Grabbed that from the great internet because it is relevant. Can't say I'm too good with my Hebrew.

3. Surroundx

Surroundx Active Member

That's why I don't quote Biblical contradictions and/or inconsistencies. The risk that the English language translation is too dissimilar to the original Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic is itself too great. Just because the English version is contradictory does not mean the original is too. Translators make mistakes, plus not every ancient Hebrew word has an analogue in modern English. And I'm not about to start learning Hebrew.

4. miss_mosher

miss_mosher Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. I can't say I'm too interested in learning Hebrew too. Might just leave that one to the experts :)

5. D3pro

D3pro Very Well-Known Member

.... Never mind, I live in the matrix.

6. Surroundx

Surroundx Active Member

Please do keep contributing to this thread mate. Your input is valued :)

Rofl.

7. Jamesss

Jamesss Active Member

I just disagree with them claiming they can interpret which parts are meant to be literal and what's meant to be a metaphor. After all, God works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?

8. killimike

killimike Well-Known Member

If we are saying those dang creationists should not write papers and evaluate evidence outside their speciality, maybe we can lay off the statements about translation theory and ancient languages?

There have been some absolutely ludicrous statements made on these subjects in this thread, which detracts from the issue of evolution and some good points that are made on that point.

9. snakerelocation

snakerelocation Active Member

what was your point again

10. Jeffa

Jeffa Well-Known Member

At the end of the day who gives a ----? live life and die when you are due. Find out answers when you die or decay into nothingness and do not, who cares for now?
    Honestly debating this crap on a reptile forum?

11. Surroundx

Surroundx Active Member

I agree (and hope I'm not one of the detractors?). Does anybody have any unusual views regarding evolution? Does anybody not believe in sexual selection? Or perhaps doesn't accept sexual selection as being part of natural selection, as Darwin didn't? Anybody not believe in kin selection? Anybody believe in group selection? Anything else you want to mention?

12. slim6y

slim6y Almost Legendary

HAHA!!

Actually - it's just about large numbers - because it was thrown out there - that a probability of 1 x 10^50 is so unlikely we can discount it - so therefore the chance of a red blood cell being made is 1 x 10^650 (or something ludicrous like that).

But what that argument fully fails to account for (of course) is that if you're going to look at at the simplest form of life - the cell, and its intrinsic difficulties of forming.... The same could be said of atoms...

Even now we know that protons and neutrons are made up of other 'stuff' (eg quarks) I'm too tired to go into huge details of course, and we don't know how far it could possibly go (yet) - at one stage the smallest, indivisible thing was the atom - but we keep getting better and better at finding stuff out - and in the past 100 years since Rutherford's experiment, boy, have we found loads!!! So it's all new territory really.

So a seemingly in-complex thing as an atom, is actually significantly complex - probably also made by a designer... Designer atoms were all the rage 7 days ago....

13. Surroundx

Surroundx Active Member

It's in the chitchat section, so the fact that this is a reptile forum is irrelevant. Your views have been duly noted, and thanks for contributing them :)

14. Jeffa

Jeffa Well-Known Member

Do not forget the pet dog and carbon.

15. redlittlejim

redlittlejim Well-Known Member

you care enough to put a post... chit chat section has done its job. Keyboard warriors unite

16. Jeffa

Jeffa Well-Known Member

Unite baby unite. Can I unite with you red little Jim? Can we become keyboard warriors together?

17. waruikazi

waruikazi Legendary

And BAM! Get that one upya! Evolution disproved in one religious swoop!

Face palm.... That was his POINT!

18. snakerelocation

snakerelocation Active Member

actually what makes me awe is the video clips out there of our solar system, and to the furtherest extent, and to how really insignificant we and our whole biology stuff is.

19. redlittlejim

redlittlejim Well-Known Member

a

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  20. Just_Plain_Nuts

Just_Plain_Nuts Very Well-Known Member

exactly, the four corners and ends of the earth are just terms...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.