Do you believe in macroevolution?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does macroevolution occur?

• Yes

Votes: 94 82.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest, how many people here have some sort of science/biological degree? Not that it changed how valid all of your opinions are, so don't go hating again :)

Just out of interest, how many people here have some sort of science/biological degree? Not that it changed how valid all of your opinions are, so don't go hating again :)
I will let you ALL in on a little well kept(snickers)secret............... I DONT roflmfao
But a lot of you sound like you might ;)

I'm just gonna take a quick guess and say that NONE of the people denying evolution have a degree in biology ;)

im defenitly a creasionist, however instead fo calling it macroevlution i would call it adaption on selective breeding.... if 500years ago giraffs next where only 50cm long and over centuries has grown to 1.5metres long. i dont think it should be classified as another species even tho it may now look completely different. Just adapted slowly to reach higher spots so to live.
I cannot but notice that you have not evolved the ability to proof read

Cannot help*

Haha jokes, I just had to do that, it's the reason why I never correct people :)

No... he was right.

"I cannot help but..." is grammatically incorrect, however, it has become a widely acceptable colloquialism in English speaking countries. "I cannot but" is a much older version, but no less incorrect.

Edit: I'll explain why he's correct. "I cannot help but" is a nonstandard sentence that requires a gerund (the -ing end) to make it as grammatically correct as possible. "I cannot help noticing" is correct and proper.

Last edited:
No... he was right.

"I cannot help but..." is grammatically incorrect in this context, however, it has become a widely acceptable colloquialism in English speaking countries.

Edit: I'll explain why he's correct. "I cannot help but" is a nonstandard sentence that requires a gerund (the -ing end) to make it as grammatically correct as possible. "I cannot help noticing" is correct and proper.

Haha I'm not an English teacher, therefore I'll stick to socially acceptable colloquialisms.

Man this WHOLE thread is just people trying to correct themselves! What's the poll standing at? I can't see it on my phone :(

Haha I'm not an English teacher, therefore I'll stick to socially acceptable colloquialisms.

Exactly.

Don't correct someone unless you have a basic understanding, at the very least.

I'm waiting for this thread to derail completely and for someone to start ranting. Always happens.

9 "no's" hmmm laugh or cry moment................

Exactly.

Don't correct someone unless you have a basic understanding, at the very least.

I'm waiting for this thread to derail completely and for someone to start ranting. Always happens.

Haha it's already derailed several times to a point of complete boredom. Always happens with controversial topics :)

14% of the population beleive in santa clause and the tooth fairy and even the easter bunny so to have 14% beleive the whole universe was created in a week only 6000 years ago just goes to show we have not evolved as far as we think

Cannot help*Haha jokes, I just had to do that, it's the reason why I never correct people :)
Sorry - but I did proof read it - twice. I need to, having fighting dyslexia all my life.
And you statement " I never correct people" is factually wrong! :)
im defenitly a creasionist, however instead fo calling it macroevlution i would call it adaption on selective breeding.... if 500years ago giraffs next where only 50cm long and over centuries has grown to 1.5metres long. i dont think it should be classified as another species even tho it may now look completely different. Just adapted slowly to reach higher spots so to live.
What makes this statement even more perplexing is the high number of quality, easy to use tools available to correct spelling and grammar before posting. Either OP is ignorant of their existence, too lazy to use them or is a troll attempting to cast "creasionists" in a bad light, which is not necessary.
Individuals do not evolve, species do. We learn
100% correct. I allowed myself to move down to anti-science level

Last edited:
Sustain the off- topic personal conversation and I believe you will realise the subject of your conjecture.

It concerns me to see a comment like " Are you really that dumb?" There is nothing positive to gain from breaking site rules and demeaning another. Keep to the information put forward and it won't get unpleasant.

I am a believer in evolution. However, I do not laugh at or lose respect for individuals simple because they are creationists. I understand the basis of this belief and respect an individual's rights to differ from me in that. It is the same for any system of personal beliefs. It is only when a given system impinges on the rights of others that I have a problem.

Biological evolution is much more than the production of new species. If it isn't, then what is the production of subspecies and races? Speciation is only a small part of Darwinian evolution, Blue.

Things like subspecies, race (the use of which is going out of fashion), adaptive radiation, the founder effect and similar processes are part of the evolutionary process. The defining attribute of biological evolution is the production of new species from previously existing species. The title to Darwin's book was "On the Origin of Species".

We are all well aware that evolutionary change is a continuum. It is complicated by the existing variation within any identified population. We should also be aware that the concept of a species is something mankind has applied to the natural world to explain his observations and to give it order. This by no means diminishes their applicability, specific usefulness or general worth. It simply means that there are contentious areas that at times can be very difficult to resolve. I often think of the colours of the rainbow. Other than those colour blind, we all know the difference between green and blue or orange and yellow or red and orange. Have a look at a spectrum and see if you spot exactly one of each colour pair changes to the other....

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
It concerns me to see a comment like " Are you really that dumb?" There is nothing positive to gain from breaking site rules and demeaning another. Keep to the information put forward and it won't get unpleasant.

I am a believer in evolution. However, I do not laugh at or lose respect for individuals simple because they are creationists. I understand the basis of this belief and respect an individual's rights to differ from me in that. It is the same for any system of personal beliefs. It is only when a given system impinges on the rights of others that I have a problem.

Blue
Sorry, but that had nothing to do with him believing in creationism, more the fact that his analogy was completely and utterly ignorant. Perhaps I should've used less harsh language, but I still stand by the basis of what I said.

Sorry - but I did proof read it - twice. I need to, having fighting dyslexia all my life.
And you statement " I never correct people" is factually wrong! :)
What makes this statement even more perplexing is the high number of quality, easy to use tools available to correct spelling and grammar before posting. Either OP is ignorant of their existence, too lazy to use them or is a troll attempting to cast "creasionists" in a bad light, which is not necessary. 100% correct. I allowed myself to move down to anti-science level

(*having fought with dyslexia)

And you (*your) statement

and i will admit it is the lazy part that stops me with my grammar and punctuation. As our species has come to adapt (evolve) to peoples bad spelling and grammar, i figured everyone could still get the gist of what im saying. i was not trying to put a creationist in a bad light. I dont see how i managed to do that with that post? please explain

My apologies Jamesss. I did mean for the later part of my post to apply specifically to you. That is why I did use names. There have only been a few snide comments in that respect and perhaps I should be thankful for small mercies...

Fuscus, I only wish I could find a grammar check that could distinguish the words the spellchecker gives the thumbs up to but are not what I meant to type. Like waiter and water, cosmic and comic, term and tern, and so on. Preferably one that does not continually come up with: "Fragment (consider revising)". Unfortunately, the difficulties I have always experienced with reading are also manifest in my two finger typing. Sadly, I don't see any technological assistance for me on the horizon.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back