do you feed live food to lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrightpython

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering if people feed live food to lizards and whether there is legalities with that. Are you allowed to feed live bugs and if so why arent you allowed to feed live mice etc

You are allowed to feed live invertebrates, feeding live vertebrates is illegal unless you have a valid reason, if the animal will take dead prey then you do not have a valid reason

why are you allowed to feed inverts but not verts. Not having a go just wondering what the diff is there both living creatures and all that stuff.
If your lizards eat dead inverts does that mean you cant feed live or are you still allowed as there only bugs afterall

Why don't you type "live food to snakes" in the search on this website - and then you will receive the answer to this question in a form of 1000 different posts like yours.

Main reason is that a) its cruel and b) live mice can actually harm the snake!...do some searching...

a) why is it cruel to feed day old pinkie mouse which b) wont harm snake they are bred to be eaten and would be eaten in wild
but you can feed month old grasshopper.
In the wild a grasshopper would have a much better chance at survival and being its a flight from fright insect is much more likely to know whats going on over a day old pinkie that doesnt even know its a pinkie let alone the fact its about to be eaten. once again not having a go just cant see the difference.
many people would catch a wild mouse or rat in a trap or bait to poison them yet tell people your brown snake eats live mice and its wrong. all im doing is poisoning it just in a different way and i bet my poison works quicker and with less pain than the internal bleed to death ratsak

I can see WP's point though and the only reason I can think of is because big brother said so.

Now get back in your cage and don't rock the boat. I am not going to have to try to convert umpteen lizards onto dead bugs. I have no room in the freezer as it is. :D

The problem is, that the one day old pinkie will turn into a fully grown rat/rabbit etc very soon. Once you start feeding live hard for snake to take frozen! So agree with graffix - don't rock the boat! Go use the search button before the old boys on here will strip you to bits.... just saying ;)

just did search like you suggested still cant find valid points that back up your argument. you want me to kill mouse then freeze then defrost then feed over just plain feed and let nature do her thing. Can anyone explain how its cruel, im not doing it for enjoyment, the snakes are doing what comes naturally and why cant you feed your lizards dead bugs or is it you cant be bothered and there for its not cruel. if i was a mummy insect and you were feeding my baby insects i reckon id think its cruel

It's because mammals can feel both emotion and pain ergo, feeding live mice at any age is cruel. Insects cannot feel pain or fear or any emotion ergo, feeding live insects is not cruel. Thats about the summary of it I think.

Mice are killed in a humane way before being frozen not hunted and squeezed to death. The biger the mouse or rat more chance for them to harm your snake as well. With bugs - death is quick, never sow it coming and dead before they can blink!

the snake in that photo was left in with the rat and the rat got hungry. seen similar on a rescue i did later found out the bloke had put snake in before he went away for long weekend snake didnt eat rat, rat ate snake its a rat eat snake eat rat world out there. that is bad husbandry not a solid reason not to feed live especially to venomous, ever seen a inland taipan down a plains rat hole snake always wins and isnt cruel

why are we discussing snakes when it says lizard. feed my beardies live crickets that have been put to sleep in the fridge so they still twitch and stretch. Dead without being completely still.

Mice are killed in a humane way before being frozen not hunted and squeezed to death. The biger the mouse or rat more chance for them to harm your snake as well. With bugs - death is quick, never sow it coming and dead before they can blink!

Bugs dont blink so it could be really slow and painful and you would still be right i suppose and when you say humane way how do you kill your mice and rats with love.

I know were you are coming from but people don't feel the same about bugs than they do for mammals. Bugs do have a nervous system so they probably do feel pain. I personally cool all my insects first than crush and decapitate their head before feeding them to my lizards.

why are we discussing snakes when it says lizard. feed my beardies live crickets that have been put to sleep in the fridge so they still twitch and stretch. Dead without being completely still.

Nice finally a real answer thankyou

the snake in that photo was left in with the rat and the rat got hungry. seen similar on a rescue i did later found out the bloke had put snake in before he went away for long weekend snake didnt eat rat, rat ate snake its a rat eat snake eat rat world out there. that is bad husbandry not a solid reason not to feed live especially to venomous, ever seen a inland taipan down a plains rat hole snake always wins and isnt cruel

yeah... dead rats don't bite back all the more reason to feed them instead don't you think? If the snakes are sold to you already taking FK or FT prey, what's the real reason you want to feed live? Please, don't say it's natural, as it is highly un-natural for you to be keeping a snake in a box.

If you can train a lizard to eat FT i.e. not moving at all and reheated let us know how you did it. As mentioned you can feed snakes live food under certain special circumstances as in it's the last resort not the it's the "natural" way excuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back