DOArodents ?

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Rob, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Super Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone used these guys as a food source ? Can you recommend them ?

Their prices seem reasonable. My current supplier, apart from being a fair bit more expensive, seems to be very inconsistent with the sizing. eg. One time I might buy 10 fuzzies, the largest maxing out at 25g, and then the next time the largest will max out at like 12g. So I am paying the same amount of money for less food. This isn't a one-off thing, either, it's happening all the time. Just seems ridiculous. As this is a shop, it is not necessarily their fault, as they are being supplied from someone else, but nonetheless, I am seeking out a different source.

If anyone can recommend a better source (that is feasible to me, being in the Macarthur area) then please post here, or feel free to PM me.

2. Peterwookie

Peterwookie Well-Known Member

I have used DOA they are very good , great prices , easy to deal with and fast delivery highly recommend them

3. Rob

Thanks Peter. How does the postage work ? I mean, do they deliver within a certain timeframe, can you nominate it, etc. ?

4. wokka

wokka Guest

Those weight seem way too high for fuzzie mice and very short for fuzzie rats. Are you chasing rats or mice?

5. Rob

I'm currently buying weaner & fuzzy rats and hopper mice.

At times, the weaners have not been much bigger than the fuzzies.

At the moment my weekly feed consists of 3 weaner rats, 1 fuzzy rat & 2 hopper mice. Apart from being quite costly, my animals are getting inconsistent (sized) meals. I'm sure that doesn't bother them too much, but it's not really value for money, IMO.

6. mungus

mungus Very Well-Known Member

Wait till one day your defrosting up to 50 medium rats per feed..............:shock:
    Now thats costly :lol:

7. adfel

adfel Well-Known Member

I have used them but for some reason my snakes refuse the rats from DOA.... not quite sure why but

8. Rob

LOL I can imagine. I'd be paying double rent too cos there's no way the missus would have me. ;)

Still when I'm paying $26+ per week now when I could be paying $13.20 (at DOA prices), I consider that costly.

9. Grunter023

Grunter023 Subscriber Subscriber

I emailed DOA Rodents on the 7th of this month,rung 2 times (says the person was unavailable) and left a text - all for a quote for about $1000 worth of rats and no reply. I am trying to source my order locally as freight was a bit high but - if that falls through Wokka emailed me a reply within the day :p

10. Ratatouile

Ratatouile Not so new Member

I have bought from DOA rodents in the past but I always do a pick up so can't tell you about postage time. Easy transaction, email was always responded to promptly and mice/rats are fresh.

11. leamos

leamos Very Well-Known Member

I get my rodents from Tony, he's a really top bloke. Always looks after me, if i'm after a specific weight he'll cull them at that size for me. All his rodents are top notch, freshly culled, clean and nice and fed on high quality food. I highly recommend using him

Tony's rats are alot bigger then many other sources, not sure if its the strain of rats he breeds, But at the end of the day if you want to give your snake 20g rats, just ask him for them and he'll get you sorted

He's flat out at work atm, so he's a bit slow to respond, he normally gets back to me the day or next day after I email

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  12. shaneb

shaneb Not so new Member

I used him once, no issues at all.

13. Rob

Cheers for the replies, guys !

Yeah, I shot him an email but no response so far. Does he have a shopfront that I can just rock up to, or is it by appointment only ?

14. leamos

leamos Very Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, i've never picked up, only ever had them delivered. I think giving him a call outside work hours (5-7pm) is your best bet, like I said when I talked to him a week or so ago he has been flat out at work lately

15. Lachesis

Lachesis Well-Known Member

No shop front,i used to pick up out front of house

16. The_Geeza

The_Geeza Suspended Banned

Have had 2 deliveries and yes at times he busy at work but i did get the order and great quality...unfortunately he short of mice at the mo and ive had to find anuva source that delivers free up to me but as yet i cant comment due to my delivery is not till next sunday....But like i said DOA r fine and c how i go with me mice delivery :D

17. Brain

Brain Not so new Member

I've used DOA and couldn't be happier. It was cheaper to buy off them and get the rats posted to Brisbane (which were all still completely frozen when they arrived), than buy from the local suppliers I could find up here.

18. shaye

shaye Well-Known Member

iv used him about 5 times now
    i pickup from his house or he meets me closer to mine when hes out here
    nice and easy to deal with
    i tried to call the other day but he was busy so i decided just to buy my own supermice to breed haha

just keep trying i guess

19. Chris1

Chris1 cupcake Subscriber

ive used them a few times, they were delivered to my door very quickly and were the cleanest looking rats ive ever had the pleasure of feeding my snakes. Very happy indeed! :p

20. hnn17

hnn17 Active Member

I highly recommend DOA's Tony, I bought many times from him. On weekends I text him what I'm after around noon, then go pick up the order when he's home - usually 6-7pm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.