Does anybody else have a snappy Bredli?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So ive had Archer for about 4 weeks done the feeding and leaving alone deal but he is incredibly grumpy and snappy. His temps are good, 33c on the hot end and 24-26 on the cool. I have him in a 15L click clack with ample hiding places on the warm and cooler sides. I know he's young but im really hoping he calms down. Any ideas on how to calm him down a tad? His parents are ridiculously calm as well.

i had the same problems with my spotted. but i turned out to be the problem (not saying you are :p) but yer pretzels handles perfectly with my mates because they have kept snakes for years and know what to do etc. the advice i was given was to just keep handling and keep calm. normally when they get more size to them they are a tad less agro-so iv been told!

had the same prob... i use a glove to get my bub out of his enclosure and then take it off and he is fine... think he just gets protective of it :)

How old is archer? And it is just about being persistant and calm also just try find something that ur snake likes lookin at such as a warm window ( workd for me)

My Bredl's are feral, 3.5 metres of pure agression. I have heard of calm Bredlii though so don't be discouraged. How big is it now? Kiss it often and passionately and it should calm down, I know mine does.

Sorry, forgot to mention, if that doesn't work just Google it :)

hey stephb.
Mine were like that when they were young and nervous but now they are very quiet.

Sometimes it takes a bit longer than 4 weeks for them to calm down and get used to their new home :) They are still only young and do use aggression as their form of defense. I didnt think my Jungle hatchy was going to calm down.... I have had her for around 12 weeks, I tried handling her and being persistent... she was getting worse so I have left her completely alone apart from feeding and cleaning her enclosure for about 6 weeks I have had her out twice this week and she has handled like a dream :) So dont get too down, Yours will probably calm down with time and patience :) Sometimes you just wind up with a snappy little devil, gotta love them :)

My bredli used to be crazy !!! Thats why i called him Happy :p

hes lovely now.. cant even remember the last time he bit me !
Keep handling everyday and he/she will come around.
The bredli is rescued was a bit flighty but never bit.. striked once.
They really are awesome snakes so keep at it :)

Try using a hook when first disturbing your snake, it's a lot less threatening than a giant ( to him ) hand coming at him. Lots of threads on here re this subject and lots of good advice,the best being patience and perseverance.

The Bredli I used to have was a snappy little monster when he was a hatchy. Over time he settled down to being merely cage defensive. As bigjoediver says, a hook makes a big difference. If I reached into the enclosure with my hand, it was bite o'clock, but with a hook, it was a lot simpler. Once he was out, he was usually OK, but still took the occasional swing. This happened less and less over time, and by the time he reached two years of age, he was five feet of mellow snake.

Was call our Male Bredli PrettyMadSnake!
PrettyMadSnake will strike at the glass but can be hooked out. After that he may or may not bite.
However, if you put PrettyMadSnake in a place where he has no cover and where he cannot run, then PrettyMadSnake will curl up into defensive position and strike at anything nearby. Very good for demos

They should settle down with age.
Dont forget your a big threat to them, when you open their click clack, when they are at that size!!

It's an individual thing. Some are just calm, some start out a devil and grow out of it and some are dfl devils for life lol. Main advice. Keep the temps right, feed consistently, heaps of hides in enclosure, consistent handling, being calm, persistent and patient and with time he will calm down. Remember individual snakes take different times to settle in. Some take a day, some take six weeks to settle. Give him more time alone and he will come round. :)

My bredli is calm when I got her , so pleased but I hope archer calms down for you! I'm sure he will over time ;)

Last edited:
Yeah i got mine as a yearling snappy but i also use a hook to get him out he feeds ok and sheds so i guess hes happy maybe yours is ready to shed good luck

All my previous experiences with Bredli has been awesome until the current one that I have that I rescued along with a Jag from a crackhouse. Both of them have been agro from the start and have managed to make me donate so much blood it isn't funny but they are slowly coming around. I have had these 2 for 6 months now and it has only been the last few weeks that I have managed to get them out without bleeding. I believe that only reason I am having trouble with this particular Bredli is all to do with his up bringing and not the breed. In any case snake bites don't really hurt near as much as people may imagine. Perseverance is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back