does anyone keep clown loaches

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i've never owned any but i know there not easy to keep in a big community tank:(

I think the complete opp gear, I have kept them with everything. And they will not go lightly even for aggressive african cichlids.

They are the best to have in all sorts of tanks, I cannot think of one habitat tank where they wouldn't fit in.

They are in the wild caught on pig dung and eaten. They can grow to a foot but take an extensive long time.

Still to my knowledge hormone bred.

They love all types of food.

I'd recommend feeding tetra colourbits. The name has changed slightly i think but any LFS that stocks tetra would know about it. Feed them sparingly with spirulina flake or pellets and provide some frozen brine shrimp every few days or so. They eat snails but do not need them. Over 95% of people who have them don't provide any snails as a meal.

They won't eat well if one is kept by themselves. I recommend at least 3 as otherwise they hide and don't do very well. With the prices these guys are going for these days anyone could quite easily afford a decent sized group.

Sam

yeah i understand, everyone i talk too tells me i should have three or more i am getting there(the pet shop has none left) but this guy is really active and he is swimming around with my spangled perch and having a really good time in the current( caused by two powerheads) and is an absoloute guts when it comes to bloodworms

Yeah, I would have at least 5. i would be careful of any colour enhancing foods to make sure it doesn't contain hormones.

I only have one in my small 2 foot tank and he does really well. Eats anything especially the algae wafers. Cleaned up all the snails. Be careful getting too many they can grow really big.

yeah i think about 4-5 i will be getting... umm yeah i nned to get some decent food he isnt too interested in the flake..

Tetra Colour bits doesn't contain any artificial colour enchances. Its all natural.

They grow at a decent rate until they hit about 8-12cm then they slow right down. I've heard of 30 year old clowns that are around 20-25cm.

yeah its all good i have big tanks.. atm they are in the four foot tank with 4 spangled perch and a turtle but they will be moved into the eight foot when they get bigger

the turtle insists on sleeping up on his stick out of the water, so it isnt a problem for the moment and when the perch and loach go into the 8 foot the turtle will have the 4 foot all to himself

I always find frozen foods the best, they adore bloodworm, feed a block at night when the lights are out as this will give any bottom feeders a better chance of getting grub.
Snails can carry diseases so i try not to put too many in.
Also like a few have already mentioned, clown loach prefer to be in groups. They are usually very nervous when alone & take longer than other species to settle down in a tank, usually they are the first fish in a tank to catch white spot but you dont get much trouble once they settle in.
The biggest ive ever seen were over 12" long & at that size the razor sharp spike under each eye is pretty impressive !!!:shock: (they like getting stuck in nets when you catch them!)
1 more thing, be careful what treatments you add from now on, clown loach dont have scales like most other fish & some treatments could kill them, look on the packet & check its safe, if it says its safe for rays & eels etc then you should be ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back