Does anyone know....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firedrake

Reaction score
...if there are any lines of GTP in Aus that have females who often turn blue and stay blue after a clutch?
Or if anyone sometimes breeds and sells females who have gone and stayed blue?
Or is the "staying blue" factor a bit hit and miss?
Obviously I expect them to be quite expensive, but since it is an actual option I'd be happy to save up for one.

...if there are any lines of GTP in Aus that have females who often turn blue and stay blue after a clutch?
Or if anyone sometimes breeds and sells females who have gone and stayed blue?
Or is the "staying blue" factor a bit hit and miss?
Obviously I expect them to be quite expensive, but since it is an actual option I'd be happy to save up for one.

It is a bit hit & miss, but most GTP females tend towards blue-green as gestation progresses, and they look more aqua or turquoise than lime green. I had a female which stayed blue after her third clutch, having remained progressively more blue with each batch of eggs. You probably couldn't reliably buy a female and expect it to turn blue as it progresses reproductively, but blue or "hormonal blue" females aren't rare, it's just at least a 6 or 7 year project to see if that's what you end up with.

Because they're impossible to predict, you shouldn't spend extra money on a female (which will be more expensive than a male anyway) with the expectation (or promise) that it will end up blue - as I said, hormonal blue girls aren't rare, but there are no guarantees.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I figured it wouldn't be much good to just buy a female and hope for the best. Do many people sell the females who have gone and stayed blue? Do you think if you bred a female and male from your female's clutch together that female or her offspring would be more likely to stay blue as well?

I don't think there would be any reliable breeders who would guarantee that you'll end up with a blue girl, even if the females came from a hormonally blue mother.

I just noticed you're in Port Hedland - are you going to move to a state where you can keep GTPs? WA is not the place for keepers interested in adding GTPs to their collection.

Jamie

Haha yes, I'm planning to move to NSW for specifically the reason that WA is miles behind everyone else but still costs twice as much to live here!
I've sold what I had and I'm letting my license lapse as it's just not worth it here.

I wouldn't look for a guarantee that she would stay blue, I know nobody could promise it, but is it a genetic thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back