Dog Breeds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise that rottys are the same size as sheherds and need the same amount of space? And staffys are really high energy dogs. Need room to run.

kato 355.jpgYeah Amstaffs are the way to go
kato207.jpg

kato 523.jpg

Last edited:
I know suggesting toy poodles will get me a bit of crap,but being they are classed as the 2nd most intelligent dog they are easy to train.You could also look at tenterfield terriers or fox terriers.I love German Shepherds and Labs,but if you have a smaller yard,smaller breeds thrive.I have owned all breeds that I have posted,but not into the stigma of what dog defines you.

I was a Dobe bloke for 30 years (still love them...), but am a recent convert to Staffys and JRs - we live on 100 acres so the Jacks are always entertained - they need it, and can get into trouble in suburbia... I would say it's really your choice Dan, but if you go via the puppy path, ONLY buy from a reliable breeder - backyard breeders are to BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS, or the costs will all be yours.

You'll pay more initially, but will have a guarantee of good health, and hopefully freedom from inherited faults, which can not only be costly, but heartbreaking as well...

Jamie

You do realise that rottys are the same size as sheherds and need the same amount of space? And staffys are really high energy dogs. Need room to run.

Thanks for the input. Our yard isn't small it's just I picture shepherds running up and down on acreage rather than a backyard. I also know staffys are high energy which is why I mentioned walking daily. All the dog people I speak to say if you can let them run around once a day they are ok. Maybe I was misinformed though...

Thanks to everyone who has shared their opinions. Personal experiences are more meaningful than hours on Google.

Hey guys I was just wondering if I could get some opinions from the dog people. We have wanted a dog for a while now but can't decide on a breed. I absolutely love Dobermans and German Shepherds but our yard isn't really big enough. So the next choices are most likely a Staffy or a Rotty. I think they're both beautiful breeds but I don't know about personality. We need something that isn't overly neurotic/crazy, isn't a big barker and is reasonably trainable. We have a medium sized yard and it would be alone while we're at work but we go for our evening walk every day so it would get a nice long walk every afternoon. From people's experiences, do either of these two breeds fit that description? Of course other suggestions are welcome but I'd really like to hear from people about Staffys or Rottys
Cheers

we had a pedigreed US dobermann that I thought was the best dog I had ever owned,then I got a cross dobie/rottie bitch who was even better and then a pedigreed rottweiller who proved all my previous theories wrong,these would have to be the best dog on the planet

It's doesn't matter one bit how big your garden is, or if you don't have one at all. I live in a two bedroom apartment with a Rotti cross who has more energy than my parents' 18month old Border Collie. It all comes down to how you meet the individual needs of the dog. Sure, some breeds are more suited to indoor living, some to outdoor living, you just need to ask some basic questions regarding your lifestyle and expectations of having a dog as a 'pet' and you get a very good idea of what your options are. Ironically breeds like Danes, Sight Hounds and Mastiffs suit smaller spaces than Terriers and Toys.

I will have to agree with Rescuing a dog, however make sure you do your homework on dog behaviour as some can look sweet and innocent however can have serious issues. Also dont pick the dog that's siting in the corner by itself.
(I am a dog trainer apprentice lol)

I would have to agree also with the breeds you have picked, they are all good breeds and honestly I like them all, however I think if you do not like annoying barks (no offence amstaff's or staff's) then I would go Shepherd or Rottie - final recommendation is Rotti though :p

Ok, I assumed you had a small yard :) Shepherds dont need acreage as long as your yard is decent size and they get walks. Rottys need a decent yard and walks but are a much lower energy dog. A daily walk and cuddles would do them. Staffys love attention so would be great if you have kids. Most dogs are ok with walks and a good yard (not tiny). We have a shep x in town and hes great.

Can't beat mixed breed in my opinion...

Lab/Collie... All the intelligence of the collie with the retrieving ability of the lab... Would be the best duck dog in the world if I actually liked duck... He also plays like no other dog, which in the long run, if you don't have 40 acres, can be a pain... He's also tough enough (the big bad collie) to stand on his own two... sorry... four feet. He defends himself against some pretty outside odds - his best friend is a german shepherd - but he stands up to her despite the 10kg difference!

Or...

The Staffie/Hunterway - all the loyalty of the staffy and the nous of the hunterway. She's one crafty, quick learning dog - but absolutely LOVES play! She's another one who would stand by your side through thick and thin. She's a dog that just loves to learn and be part of the pack.

All the best of every world :)

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but we had three large dogs (dobe x kelpie, rotti x and a ridgeback x) in a unit with a reasonably sized decking area and a small front yard. We managed :) They turned the postage sized yard into a postage sized patch of dirt fairly quickly, but aside from that, with daily long walks (I'd finish work at around 1am and take them out then for a good 3km+ walk and a half hour to an hour of chasing a ball or training or something) and that was just fine, we had no issues and they were all happy and healthy. Then we thought we should get a bigger yard for them, so bought a new place with a HUGE yard, and I've just gotten slacker with walking them because they do self-exercise, and it's plenty big enough to play fetch in :( I'm starting to get back into it now, but by god it's hard work at first! While I'm dragging myself home from a walk around the block and making noises like a dying whale because I'm so tired, I have to keep reminding myself how much I did end up actually enjoying walking them, and that as soon as the heart attack passes, it'll start being fun again. I'm sooo unfit right now :(

Great Danes ALL the way. Our needing a forever home GR just turned 10.

I've been surrounded by my beautiful stuffy for 13 years and she's great. I'd go with a staffy. :D

I really like those Amstaffs with the full white face and black body :) they are soo cute

No prizes for guessing my answer!! Rhodesian Ridgebacks - stunningly handsome, very short coat, brilliant with kids, agile, energetic and stamina to burn but just as happy to lie in the beanbag with you. They wont burn energy unless they have to so no prob if you cant walk them every day. They are also very loyal and protective, and never lose the lion hunting thing. We were at dog training with our new pup one evening and there was a circus in the next oval, a lion roared and our boy was up and ready for it. Very strange as none of his family would have seen a lion for generations. And yes, love camping, fishing, etc.
ps if you are an outdoors type, go for short coat breeds - you can find ticks in a flash.

Get a Gordon Setter. Same colour as a rotty but with two great advantages, they are clean scented and won't stink your place up and they don't shed hair. They also have great temperament and are very loyal. They grow about same height wise as a Rotty but not as bulky being closer to an Irish Setter in build. As a guard dog they will let anyone into your yard, they just won't let them out again.:D

I would kill for a doberman however the rest of my family aren't so keen. And because my mum's allergic we decided on a Portuguese water dog.
She is the best dog! I love her so much. She's about to turn 2 and is extremely playful but so sweet with the biggest personality.

Hopefully the pics work. and she is not a poodle. But she doesn't shed.

photo (2).JPGphoto (1).JPGphoto (3).JPGphoto (4).JPG
Oh and one of my cat. Not sure why he did but he decided to sit in this box for most the evening just out of choice.
photo.JPG and just one more Picture 009.jpg

I love all dogs though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back