Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100%, I have been grilled so many times by all these old know-it-alls!

I agree 100%, I have been grilled so many times by all these old know-it-alls!

the problem isn't the old know-it-alls, its the newbie know-it-alls.... just because you can Google an answer doesn't mean you know everything, you have to actually understand what you are reading/posting. A lot of the oldies can't think outside the box tho or question the way they do things.

When I did my research before I got my snake, every single old know-it-all gave me different information anyway. Nobody agreed with each other. So I just did what I thought was right and took the information that sounded the best and now I have an amazing 4 month old jungle hatchy that has never bitten me, has never missed a feed, has had a full healthy shed and climbs all over me without hesitation I think I'm doing great and I didn't know what to do at first.

I just wanto say a thumbs up for every ""noob" that has asked questions about sheeding and pooping, all the great answers from all members have helped me a lot recently.
I was getting worried that my jungle hadn't pooped in the two weeks of me having him only to find out that he could have gone a month no problems and he was probably coming into shed. Today I noticed his eyes are blue so fingers crossed in a week I'll have a shed and poop package.
He is my first snake so I will be a worry wart for a while to come I think.

When I did my research before I got my snake, every single old know-it-all gave me different information anyway. Nobody agreed with each other. So I just did what I thought was right and took the information that sounded the best and now I have an amazing 4 month old jungle hatchy that has never bitten me, has never missed a feed, has had a full healthy shed and climbs all over me without hesitation I think I'm doing great and I didn't know what to do at first.
that's because different things work for different people just because one thing works for one person doesn't mean it will work for the next person. that's why I say ''do your own research''....

Im pretty much one myself as u all know. I have seen a few comments directed at newbies that makes me feel :( people are simply trying to learn more and share their experience and love of reptiles. Also some newbies have loved reptiles all their life! however didn't get their 1st until now....doesn't make them any less worthy of being a member on here. Please don't be mean, everyone has to start somewhere :| make love not war.

Trying to make love generally ends up in war. 8)

Back on topic....I think a lot of the newbies, including myself when I first started in here are a victim of asking a question or starting a thread that has been started umpteenth times already.

The forum rules clearly indicate to use the search function and wiki tab to find the information u r looking for prior to posting a thread.

Ironically I have been guilty of starting a thread that may have already been answered previously, in fact I'm damn sure it had been.

I learnt from it.

And some as well aren't internet / forum savvy. There is a certain style / etiquette required on bulletin boards/forums and the like.

Last edited:
Here's some advice from a noob.....Please read a post completely before hastily dishing out blunt comments. This happend to me when i first joined the forum and it made me stay away for a substantial time as it made me feel like i couldnt trust the info that was being dished out because it looked like some "experts" where so keen to hand out info that they couldnt even bring themselves to finish reading the post and gave stupid answers. Not a good look eh. ;-)

Muzman there are some good people on this forum with a hell of a lot of knowledge. Then there are some that you wouldn't give the time of day to. It's finding the good people who are willing to share that knowledge with you to aid your learning. Good luck in your search mate.

Muzman there are some good people on this forum with a hell of a lot of knowledge. Then there are some that you wouldn't give the time of day to. It's finding the good people who are willing to share that knowledge with you to aid your learning. Good luck in your search mate.

Yeah i recently started using the forum cuz i figured that i shouldnt taint everyone with the same brush. I imagine that all the most knowledgeable people in the country probably use this forum :)

. I imagine that all the most knowledgeable people in the country probably use this forum :)

While there are some knowledgeable people on here there are many that are not.... So many have left or been pushed over crap

There are also a lot of noobs with limited knowledge who give advise, which from my experience watching the forum, is often wrong. The hardest part for noobs isn't being told bluntly by keepers how to do things. But rather working out which advise to follow.

I think the Admin should have a gold standard for some members where their names appear in yellow. This would mean advise given from someone with a yellow name is to be trusted.
Some of the gold names would be:
Pythoninfonite
Eipper
Gecko dan
Fay
etc etc...
Or perhaps people who have been on here for over 5 years. (though time on here isn't always a good indicator.)

Last edited by a moderator:
:)^!

The newbies who have problems are very often those with "attitude." Just the other day, someone posted some silly questions about incubating unexpected eggs (or maybe they were expected but the new "breeder" hadn't the faintest clue how to deal with them). The eggs were laid in the enclosure under the heat lamp. When it was suggested that the member should seek info on python incubation, and he/she was actually given good advice about the factors that might improve success, the response was "I've got a book and I know what is needed, but I'll ask this stupid question again, even though EVERY bit of info suggests I shouldn't leave the eggs under the heat lamp... and I know about humidity..."

I admit quite freely that I'm blunt with stupid people (and there IS such a thing as a stupid question!), but you can usually tell from the tone of the members post whether or not they've done even the most basic research about what they're asking. If not, and the question is glaringly idiotic, then I'm afraid I have little patience and wish they'd never even got a reptile pet. On the other hand, you can tell the ones who absorb information and have the brains and intuitive skills to sort the good info from the bad, and who will go on to be successful keepers/breeders of healthy and happy (shouldn't use that word, it's very subjective!) reptiles.

It's been one of my firm opinions for a long time that keeping licences are too easy to obtain in most states. Perhaps that's about the only thing I might say in defence of the system in WA - it is expensive and very tightly managed, but it probably makes intending keepers think carefully about their responsibilties before they acquire a reptile.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
The hardest part for noobs isn't being told bluntly by keepers how to do things. But rather working out which advise to follow.

This, absolutely. IMO silly questions do not always derive from a failure to do research, but rather an oversaturation of conflicting information and confusion about what is right and what is wrong.

There are also a lot of noobs with limited knowledge who give advise, which from my experience watching the forum, is often wrong.

This is by far the reason a lot of bad advice is thrown around.A new keeper signs up and asks very basic questions and within a day or two starts offering advice to others without even the faintest clue if that info is correct or not.I know that they are only trying to help but at the end of the day anyone can google info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back