Double down rat feed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primo

Reaction score
Jewel has been a great captive and its always interesting when she eats. I've hand fed her early on when she was a wee little one. She seemed to feel more comfortable perched on my hand and just opening her mouth to take the food. She's eaten fuzzy rats up to large (F/T and live) rats. chicks, quail and 1 + pound rabbits. Everything is F/T unless it is a live refusal from the royal.

She will strike live prey very hard, but she actually wraps the F/T tight and then bites. When she eats, it is usually at least one month between feedings, sometimes it is two months. She pretty much runs the show, however when she does eat, she prefers larger prey or, like today a double shot.

Today was a double large rat bonanza.

And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I actually took some newer photos of the "Jewel". She's a coastal mutt of some kind, but today I thought she looked like there was a little diamond in her.

I usually think the camera takes away, but with her, it often enhances some yellows that are not really that prominent in her coloring. It makes her look rather jungle in some shots like this one with a flash. Jungle is a possibility since she is a mix. Of all the photos today, this is my least favorite and the one that looks least like her. But I kept it to show the variation she displays.
IMG_3687.jpg

This is where I thought she had some fading resemblance to a diamond mix. I think it is the face and some of the lower side patterning. Everything is speculation. I actually somewhat enjoy the mixing going on.
IMG_3688.jpg

2 large rats in the belly. She just takes larger items like they are nothing.
IMG_3689.jpg

The rest of these are very similar, but they are a more true representation of what she really looks like.
IMG_3692.jpg

This is also one of the rare times she's eaten from a hide on the ground. I'm assuming because I fed her during the day.
IMG_3693.jpg

Nothing like getting carried away. Here is another near identical photo. The carpet/diamond/bredli snakes are just sensational animals to own.

I hope you enjoyed the photos. She's about 7 feet long now, 3.5 years old, and seems to be having a later life growth spurt.
IMG_3694.jpg

Great photos, Primo. Thanks for sharing.
In a couple of photos, she looks just like a jungle we had.

Attachments

• 20140809_091342.jpg
    20140809_091342.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back