Double Feeding Left Over Food. Between Food Sizes.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KierenTavener12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What do you do with leftover food. My girl grew so fast if got some excess rat pinkies.

I was thinking maybe feeding her one after her main meal. I've read some guys double feed. But i don't know if it's safe to do so.

She's in between foods currently As the rats she's eating are getting to small and the ones up are way way to big.

She's on 25gmish rat weaners/ hoppers. Or adult mice.

So would double feeding be okay to use up what I have.

What do you do with leftover food. My girl grew so fast if got some excess rat pinkies.

I was thinking maybe feeding her one after her main meal. I've read some guys double feed. But i don't know if it's safe to do so.

She's in between foods currently As the rats she's eating are getting to small and the ones up are way way to big.

She's on 25gmish rat weaners/ hoppers. Or adult mice.

So would double feeding be okay to use up what I have.

I've never had an issue doing so
And I guarantee the next size up will be fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think the current size is too small, but you still have stock, try offering a pinkie afterward. It can't hurt. Otherwise, see if there is anyone you know/nearby that will buy them off you.

Cheers guys. Found a few pages talking about it.

Offered her the normal size, the later a pinky and she took it no issues. Gonna every couple of weeks give her one till there gone.

I figured since she's small for 2. It won't hurt either, It'll probably help her fill out.

Well that would be a different discussion Rick. Feeding excess food that is deemed too small for a particular python isn't that hard really. Just feed multiple amounts.

getting rid of excess small food is easy.but what do you do when the largest snake refuses?If the coastal says no thanks to a large rat you can't pass it down to a smaller snake (we need a big monitor)

And so the collection grows.
I don't have left over food from anything these days.
Just means that for now my collection is big enough lol

lol my young Murray (2 yr old) who was underfed and tripled in size since I got her 8 mths ago will take anything, when the larger 2yr old refused an xlge rat not only did my MD eat her large rat but she also got the xlge as well, she couldn't move for a few days and got 3 weeks without another meal hahaa but she was content

4b3a658d60e8a0d76ae21333e8b20834.jpg

Rick, besides a monitor, as long as you haven't left the food in the tank, you can always refreeze. We have done this many times in the past, without incident. Like Pauls_Pythons said, our collection must be just right, as we have no leftovers these days (large monitors do help, lol).

Well that would be a different discussion Rick. Feeding excess food that is deemed too small for a particular python isn't that hard really. Just feed multiple amounts.
that's what I meant , if the stimmy or the spotteds refuse there is always another who will take extra food or the Darwin will say thanks but when the coastal is in shed there is no-one big enough to take her food

Last edited:
Rick, besides a monitor, as long as you haven't left the food in the tank, you can always refreeze. We have done this many times in the past, without incident. Like Pauls_Pythons said, our collection must be just right, as we have no leftovers these days (large monitors do help, lol).
isn't re-freezing risky,you get bacteria in it.You don't re-freeze human food

I'll be honest never had left overs either, I find I'll always feed the small guys first there the most likely to refuse meals, my adult coastals don't refuse even when in shed (though I don't like to feed them when there in shed anyways)
So the bigger guys might get a few small meals, the funniest thing ever is seeing an adult coastal eating a mouse :p

We used to throw away any uneaten food, until someone told us to re-freeze it, only if not left in tank. As I said, we never had a problem with any of our snakes when we did this. And we only ever re-froze the once; if it had been re-frozen, we made sure it went the second time, offering it to our best feeders.
Obviously, monitors negate the need to re-freeze.

isn't re-freezing risky,you get bacteria in it.You don't re-freeze human food

If you thaw quickly in hot water, you can re-freeze without harm to the animal that eats it in the next feeding cycle. Snake food is full of bacteria anyway (even the stuff a wild snake kills and eats), and for a few days a large meal will basically rot in the snake's stomach until the digestive juices break it down. Snakes swallow their food whole, (unlike us who chew it into pulp to allow the stomach juices and saliva to break it down quickly) so it takes days before a snake can "sterilize" the gut contents with its digestive juices. Being thawed for a couple of hours will not cause any problems as long as re-freezing is fairly prompt.

Jamie

we don't defrost quickly,we leave them in the fridge for a several hours to defrost and then warm them up using a saucer over warm water in a saucepan to bring them up to eating temps.Because wet rats get substrate stuck to the fur!!
My son originally tried using a heat mat under a glass tray to warm them up (rat-b-que) but it was too slow so now he does it my way :)

we don't defrost quickly,we leave them in the fridge for a several hours to defrost and then warm them up using a saucer over warm water in a saucepan to bring them up to eating temps.Because wet rats get substrate stuck to the fur!!
My son originally tried using a heat mat under a glass tray to warm them up (rat-b-que) but it was too slow so now he does it my way :)

Lol I'd get in so much trouble having 6 xlge rats, 4 weaner rats, 2 day old chicks and 30+ mice weaners defrosting in the fridge [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I just pop em in warm water straight from the freezer, much quicker

Lol I'd get in so much trouble having 6 xlge rats, 4 weaner rats, 2 day old chicks and 30+ mice weaners defrosting in the fridge [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I just pop em in warm water straight from the freezer, much quicker

And better. If wet rats get substrate stuck to their fur, cover the substrate with newspaper while the animal is feeding, or remove it from the enclosure when feeding. You're already priming them for decay by taking so long to do it.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back