Double Heterozygous Blue Tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always had a bit of a soft spot for blue tongues even though I don't keep any (yet). These are amazing!

There's another Aussie keeper who claims to have successfully paired up an albino and hypermelanistic animal years ago.

That keeper claims that the offspring were snows and that by crossing the snows he produced a leucistic animal.

Joe has apparently proved these claims were false.

Last edited:
Great work Joe, congrats, should be some amazing results in a few seasons!!!
Cheers
Adam

They are really interesting. The black blue-tongue is really beautiful. Well done and congratulations.

There's another Aussie keeper who claims to have successfully paired up an albino and hypermelanistic animal years ago.

That keeper claims that the offspring were snows and that by crossing the snows he produced a leucistic animal.

Joe has apparently proved these claims were false.

It would be impossible to produce snows or Leucistic animals from this combination IMO as where is the function that removes any coloured pigment ??? as Hypers produce every colour in abundance & albinism only removes black pigment. Sooooo when combined I am sure the Hyper Melanistic Albino would be exactly as described displaying all other pigments in abundance except black with red eyes...... so then a completely orange Bluey....

The attached picture of a Hyper IMO proves this theory extremely credible with its ultra orange belly masked in melanin....... which albinism would remove......

Time though will tell all !!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0864.jpg
    DSCF0864.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 98
Hi Joe,

I recently acquired some young hypermelanistic Blueys and they have light patches on their bellies, not red like in your pic.

Will they turn red eventually?

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

I recently acquired some young hypermelanistic Blueys and they have light patches on their bellies, not red like in your pic.

Will they turn red eventually?

Yep every one I have ever seen develops orange on its belly as the pigment strengthens with age.

babies colouring up sensationally !!!!

Attachments

• DSCF1460.jpg
    DSCF1460.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 161
Joe,

How are these puppies going? Any recent pictures or news to share?

Cheers,

Dave.

They are going well..... I have put 3 boys powerfed 9 months old weighing 350gs over the following;

1.An adult black girl hopefully producing some Black 50% het for albinos....
2.The mother to hopefully produce som albinos that are 100% het for black which should be visible as with melanistic hets.
3.A 9 month old sibling 375 gram girl to hopefully produce a Melanistic Albino.

All a bit of a punt as they are not even a year old yet..... I will hopefully know for sure if I have anything gravid in the next few weeks.....

Fascinating stuff there Joe. Thanks for the update. It's a great time of year waiting for gravid girls to drop.

Cheers,
Dave.

To my knowledge, the only way to produce a snow bluetongue is to cross an albino bluetongue with a bluetongue that is shades of grey instead of orange/red/brown/fawn.
Producing snow blueys would be very easy, just find some blueys that have no colour in them and cross them with albinos, sure you'll get snows eventually.

To my knowledge, the only way to produce a snow bluetongue is to cross an albino bluetongue with a bluetongue that is shades of grey instead of orange/red/brown/fawn.
Producing snow blueys would be very easy, just find some blueys that have no colour in them and cross them with albinos, sure you'll get snows eventually.

who said anything about snows ?? I am pretty sure the double homozygous form will be anything but white.....

snows are axanthic x albino and that project is well under way. I'm thinking a hyper albino would be more on the lines of solid orange not white

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back