Dragon has limp legs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaa

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on bearded dragons. Here's the story:
About a month a go I noticed one of my pygmy bearded dragons (about 2 months old) could not walk straight and was constanty tripping over. Also she would sometimes have what looked like an epeleptic fit. I immediatly made a few changes, I placed paper towel over the sand in the enclosure incase she was eating some, a put in another higher branch so she could basks if the other dragons pushed her off the first branch, I pul a towel over the top of the enclosure to raise the temp incase her food was not being digested, I stopped giving her calcium because I had her too much calcium/vitiamin could cause them to be shaky. I called up the guy I bought the dragons off to ask him for advice and he told me of another person who had the same problem as I do and she was feeding them too large crickets so I immediatly gave smaller crickets and after a few weeks the dragon was back to normal. She has not put on very much size sinse I got her. Then about two days ago one of her front legs just went limp and she didnt use this. I wasnt sure how it could happen but I thought I would keep a close eye on her to make sure she is getting by and to closly monitor the situation with her leg. Today I looked at her and both her front legs have just gone limp. I was reading on the net about metabolic bone disease and appartently this is caused by a lack of calcium and symptoms include, swolem limbs, rubbery bones and brittle bones. Does anyone think this could be it or do they have another oppinion. I need some help and please dont say go the vet because I can't afford that at the moment.

UV. Get it out in the sun as soon as possible or under a UV light even sooner. Start using the Ca+ again. Sounds to me like it has a broken front leg due to bone weakness so handle it as little as possible.

thanks guys, they do have UV light in their tank but I will try to get her outside whenever I can, I have also already stated up again with the calcium

I dont know to much about lizards but id say that would be the way to go, I have a mate who has a couple of central bearded dragons, he puts em on his shoulder and sits with em out in the sun for about 20 mins everyday and they to have UV light in their enclosure.

I agree, Get it in the sun and make sure they've got a branch as close to the UV as possible :!:

The UV in their enclosure is useless unless they're virtually sitting right on top of it. Don't just "try" to get them out in the sun,it's a necessity that you do get them out a few times a week. I say this from experience having had a similar problem.

Whaa, I went through a similar thing with my Beardie (first reptile)...

1st thing - GET THEM INTO THE SUN ASAP!!!! An hour in the sun will be more beneficial to them than ANYTHING else you can do initially.

2nd thing - Change the UV globe in their enclosure. They run out after about 6-12 months, and need to be changed! The beardies need to be within 20-30cm from the globe for them to get any UV from the globes. If they are not that close, put a branch in that puts them just underneath it.

3rd thing - Give them the calcium supplement

4th thing - Watch what you feed them. I managed to get my beardie back from the bone problems with HEAPS of UV, however I lost him to him choking on food overnight. Watch them when eating. Do not leave food in the enclosure (the mistake I made). The will get their hunger back slightly, and you need to be there to make sure they don't try to "bite off more than they can chew".... I would feed the ill one in a seperate container to make sure you know exactly how much he/she eats.

5th thing - Keep a close eye on them.

Good luck, and I really hope they come good for you! :)

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back