Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can those that have suggested this is a male please tell me how you managed to pick the sex without flipping it over and examining the pre anul and femoral pores. I have been keeping these things for 20 years and I still can not pick sex acurately by sighting an animal. Curiosity has got the better of me and I would love to now what the determining characteristics are. I do not see any obvious tail bulges which would indicate the existance of hemipenes (although this method of sex determination is really only reliable in some species of the Diporiphora complex. Colour variation between sexes in Jackies is non existant, at least as far as I have observed anyway. Head and body size are not an accurate determinant and there is no contrasting animal in the picture anyway so as to make a comparison with. The solid body stripe only works with the now not so closely related species A. nobbi. This is clearly not a Nobbi dragon. So I am obviously missing something that I would love to learn more about. It would help me tremendously with several other species that I keep where there appears to be no visual means of sex determination other then by physical examination.

Look forward to your comments and help.

Come on people as I said in my previous post I am always looking to learn new things particularly something as useful as sexing jacky dragons by sight or from a photo. (Application to other species could be really important)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back