Dragon ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

outbackstorm

Reaction score
I found this little critter a number of years back at my parents place on the Western side of Coolah in the Central West of NSW. The property is approximately 12 km as the crow flies west-north-west of Coolah. It is sandy soil with mostly spear grass understory and scattered scribbly gum and rough barked apple. He was on the outskirts of my parents garden which is relatively native plants. I remember at the time having a look in my field guide and found nothing like him. I just stumbled across the photos I took and re-ignited the quest to have him identified.

What are your thoughts?

fauna 012.jpgfauna 013.jpgfauna 018.jpgfauna 025.jpgfauna 024.jpgfauna 020.jpg

I agree it's a Nobbi Dragon and the subspecies, given the continous white lines on the back and where they start and finish, the colour of body and tail. It has recently been placed in a new genus... Diporiphora nobbi nobbi.

I agree with the others a male D.nobbi

I would suggest blue that saying a 'new' genus may be misleading as Diporiphora is not that new at all, only that this species is newly in it.

Last edited:
Geckophotographer,
If we were conversing in French there would be no problem as I would have the option of using ‘nouveau’ or ‘neuve’. Seeing as how the English language does not distinguish between “brand new” and “different”, I would have thought the meaning of the term new, as used in the context given, clearly indicated “different”. My basis for this presumption is simply the fact that the genus “Diporiphora” was coined by Grey in 1842. I therefore naturally assumed that the bulk of those reading my comment would be aware that this particular genus had been around for a while. Your comments clearly indicate that I may well be in error presuming this. I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I shall endeavour in the future to avoid such duplicity.

EDIT: Please note, that the Nobbi dragon has recently been changed from the genus Amphibolurus to the genus Diporiphora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back