Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silatman

Reaction score
Just hoping someone on here can ID this little guy for me, he is happily living in my backyard in WA about 60kms south of Perth on the coast. I'm presuming it's a dragon of some description? He is pretty small, only around 20 - 22 cm long,
We discovered him about a week ago and he is very brave. We can get within touching distance of him when he is sunning himself. I'm hoping he finds a mate and some little dragons here too, how cool would that be.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20151006_15_16_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151006_15_16_24_Pro.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 643
It's a bit hard to see on my computer but I second that it looks like a Dwarf Bearded Dragon (Pogona minor minor). He's very cute and looks pretty young too, might be a while until he finds a friend though! :p

it has the same coloration/head shape as the mountain dragon i found in my backyard

it has the same coloration/head shape as the mountain dragon i found in my backyard
There are no mountain dragons in Western Australia. It is very important to look at the location the reptile has been found in to make an accurate identification.
As others have identified it is a Pogona minor Dwarf bearded dragon.

Cheers Cameron.

[MENTION=24473]silatman[/MENTION]. It is a Western Heath Dragon (Ctenophorous adelaidensis). This species was not so long ago transferred from the genus Rankinia, the same genus as the Mountain Dragon. [MENTION=41958]Dopamel[/MENTION], it does bear strong superficial similarities to Mountain Dragons in shape, colour pattern, size and even behaviour. The banding on the lips and lack of spines around the angle of the jaw distinguish it from Pogona. There is also a significant size difference - adult SV length for the Heath Dragon is about 5 cm compared to 15 cm for the Western Bearded (TL 12 cm cf 38 cm). These guys stick to the ground whereas the Bearded frequently climbs small shrubs and fallen branches and timber.

It looks like a female to me but you would need to view the underside to confirm that. Males have a black chest patch and markings on the throat and belly.

Its not mountain dragon given the locale. Ctenophorus adelaidensis, when did they transfered to Ctenophorus? I have only known them as Rankinia. Makes me wonder if parviceps and diemensis are on there way over to Ctenophorus as well, getting rid of the Rankinia genus altogether. R.parviceps in particular shows simillar charecteristics to netted dragons.

Last edited:
I have to disagree Blue and say it's not a Western Heath Dragon. Bredli and Cameron got it right in the first place P minor. Caught a few of both last time I was in Perth a couple of years back. Head's too large for an adult WHD and the ocellated marking visible on the belly identify it to me as a Pogona There's a perfect example of P minor on page 413 of Wilson and Swan, Guide to Australian Reptiles 4th edition that's almost a carbon copy of this guy. For comparison have a look at the colour plate of Ctenophorus adelaidensis on page 381 of the same reference and page 705 in Cogger 7th edition.

George.

Have to agree with Georgie on this one, unfortunately.
This guy is extremely similar to hatchling Pogona barbata. I've seen more of them to even count.
Everything about him says baby pogona to me. Head shape is a little different to the ones on this side of the country, but he's a different species after all.

My mistake! It is a hatchling Pogona minor.

Back on my own computer today and enlarged the pic. Spines actually are visible around the angle of the jaw (with a row across the nape) and the lips are not barred as I thought they were from viewing the smaller pic. The dorsal pattern is also not that of C. adelaidensis – no light paravertbrals with black cross bars.
[MENTION=40362]CrazyNut[/MENTION]. The taxonomic revision was done by Melville, Shoo and Doughty in 2008. I managed to find a link to the abstract...https://www.deepdyve.com/lp/csiro-p...eath-dragons-rankinia-adelaidensis-WKcym6oUmz.

Not even a hatchling - it's a smallish juvie P. minor. I used to breed them in WA when I was in high school... when things were a bit more lax, and for $10 permit from the then Dept of Fisheries & Fauna I could import any Australian reptile from any state. Those were the days.

Jamie

p. bata very rare to se them in the west
Are you referring to Pogona barbata? If so it couldn't possibly be Pogona barbata as they do not occur at all in Western Australia. Unless if it's an escaped pet, which I don't think is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back