dragon wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dale1988

Reaction score
hey i got my baby western bearded dragon like a week or 2 ago and he wont eat and im worried hes gonna die i got him of a guy private sale he seemed a little dodgy so yeah i dont know what to do

what are his basking temps?

If the temps arent right he wont have an appetite and wont eat, if he hasnt eaten for a week or 2 u might wanna give him some chicken and veg babyfood with a plastic syringe to get him started, or even mashed pumpkin with a pinch of calcium, drip some ojn his nose and wait till he starts licking.

ur right to be worried, if its a baby it definately shouldnt brumate this year, so make every effort to get his temps right and get him eating.

temps are around the 35 to 40 degree mark in his entire enclosure i tried to put stuff near hius mouth he just shuts his eyes when ever i pick him up i dont know what to do im starting to think he was wild caught the guy couldnt tell me for sure how old he was or any details about him at all so im a little sus on it all i dont want the poor fella to die

thats too high for the entire enclosure, he still needs a cool end.
how are u keeping him hydrated?
hes obviously not underheated, so that cant be it.

another possibility is he could have intestinal parasites, but u'd need a poo sample to take to the vet for that,...

seriously, try the babyfood, once theres a drop on his nose use ur fingernail and gently press it between his lips to make him taste the food, once they havent eaten for that long u need to help him otherwise he'll waste away.

once he tastes in and starts licking keep adding more.

i guess u dont know if the previous owner supplied UVB light?
are u providing UVB light?
if so what kind and how close can he get to the source,...?

what substrate is he on?
has he pooed for u at all?

does he have places to hide and feel comfortable?

no poo yeah 2 hides in his enclosure has a uva/uvb light dont qoute me on it also got from the same guy hes on newspaper at the moment he can get fairly close to light but not close enought to touch by about 10cm he gets water from water bowl what temp should he be having for enclosure im new to owning reptile i hope i am not the one that has caused his lack of eating i should have studied a little bit about him first this guy basically said just let him stay in enclosure leave the light on 24/7 and hes fine im worried now :(

light on 24/7?

they need a day and night,...

use a bright globe for 12-14 hours a day, (the reflectors are 4 bucks from bunnings and are perfect for teh job) if it gets cold overnight where u are use a ceramic heat emitter at night, just heat, no light.

most dont drink from water bowls, have u ever seen him drink?

get a spray bottle and mist him twice a day, either take him out of the enclosure, or sit him on a towel in the enclosre then remove it so hes not living in damp conditions.

after this much time i dont like ur chances of him deciding to start eating without ur help, ur setup sounds like u have everything covered. (feel free to post a pic btw,..)

try the babyfood tonight, or boil and mash some pumpkin or whatever other veg u have for him and try what i said in my last post, u need to get something into his tummy.

what have u been trying to feed him btw,..?

what are his basking temps?

If the temps arent right he wont have an appetite and wont eat, if he hasnt eaten for a week or 2 u might wanna give him some chicken and veg babyfood with a plastic syringe to get him started, or even mashed pumpkin with a pinch of calcium, drip some ojn his nose and wait till he starts licking.

ur right to be worried, if its a baby it definately shouldnt brumate this year, so make every effort to get his temps right and get him eating.

i have a juvi i have bought 4-5 weeks ago aswell.....
he doesnt seem to be eating his greens am gonna try him on crickets when i get him a mate....
what do u mean like heinz baby food??

the baby food is for emergencies,..just till he gets his stomach working again,...they seem to love it and its easy to digest, good for hydration etc,...

whaddaya mean try him on crickets, that should be 80% of his diet as a juvy!!!

thats what i have in his enclosure crickets tryed greens to with no help its a moonlight globe apparently all i actually need 24/7 as i saids im new to all this if i had someone in the brissy area that could give me advice that would be great ill try mist him and all that but i dont think its going to work got a personal email to send a picture to?

its a moonlight globe apparently all i actually need 24/7

so youve already acknowledged that the guy gave u dodgy advice, just pointing out that thats also wrong,...its up to u wherther or not u wanna do anything about it ofcourse,....!! :)

how did u go with the syringe feeding, or didnt u bother?

post a pic here, that way other people can also help since ur not interested in my advice. :)

btw, dont leave crickets in ur dragons enclosure, they will stress him and once they get hungry enough they'll start to nibble on him,..mmmm,...nice moist eye balls,....

oh wow well all seems good now i put 2 more crickets in last night no sight of them and he has finnally pooed

you put crickets in last night? i doubt they would have eaten them , they are diurnal, they sleep at night so therefore have no intrest in food at night, unless you leave the lights on 24/7 like you said you have been doing which should be thought over and changed. Get a bearded dragon book and read i say otherwise contact the person you got it from and ask them all the questions. they should know best about the dragon as you purchased it from them.

well he seems very happy at the moment i have not seen him this happy ever

the baby food is for emergencies,..just till he gets his stomach working again,...they seem to love it and its easy to digest, good for hydration etc,...

whaddaya mean try him on crickets, that should be 80% of his diet as a juvy!!!

he wont eat live

What are you measuring your temps with?
If its with a stick on, remove it, and get urself a probe thermometer as these are alot more accurate, or even temp gun. (the stick ons can be off by more than 10c)

What are the temps currently?
Basking, ambient and cool side?

What UV light are you currently using?

Chris has given some really good advise.
I had simular issue's with a couple of beardy hatchlings that I bought from a someone dodgey too (moral to the story if in doubt walk out! especially when your new to it all, it's not fair on you or the beardy)...
Sidetracked sorry- ok juvi's should be eating about 80% crickets - 20% veg mix, they will need calcium suppliments too...
If when you offer crickets during the DAY they are closing their eyes can I suggest squishing the crickets slightly with a fork or simular as it makes it easier on the dragon to get the ball rolling.
Also they are hesitant to eat veg at this age but keep supplying it and perhaps some wombaroo reptile suppliment sprinkled into the mix ( This really helped with mine)
With the 'misting' I personally don't do it but give them lukewarm/room temp 'baths' in the sink so they can soak up as much water as their body will allow...
You really need to sort out your lighting asap as this is really important for helping him digest his food...
Please don't feel like we're attacking you, we are here to help but as you said yourself a little more research is needed otherwise things can go pear shaped and your good intentions are gone too quickly...
If you could post a pic of your enclosure it would help us to see what you need to change to give your little guy the best chance at survival as your setup is a vital part of it all.

one end i have water bowl and food with a sandstone rock cave, thingsi built for him and the other end is warmer with the heat rock and light im guessing 30c+
using a aquastar or something similar off my old talk for cichlids / discus
i finally got him while he was active this afternoon... he was active when i picked him up so i got a few meal worms put them in the enclosure, while i went to the shop to get him more crickets, i put hafl a dozen or so in there and he chased them arond and ate a few.. not sure how many though...
im not to worried atm coz he is still active

Re babyfood for beardies: Rafferty's Garden is best brand as it has no additives. I used babyfood once to disguise antibiotics and the vet advised that it's best to avoid any that have added vitamin c (ascorbic acid) and any other additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back