Dragons - What type to get for beginner?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuttley

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Which species of dragon would you recommend for a first time dragon owner, who would like to be able to handle the animal without stressing it out too much. We have been advised that a Central Bearded would be better for handling than a Central Netted, but have not had any discussion of the other types. Also wondering about the dwarf bearded, how does its handle-ability compare to the others?

Thanks for any advice,
Tuttley.

i love my eastern beardies, good handlers

go the central bearded dragon

Definately a central beardy. They are larger and more robust than dwarf beardies, and they are great to handle, dont bite (although i have heard of a couple of very silly people getting bitten) and are very hardy. They eat woodies, crickets and vegies.

Also i have some available that hatched the start of Feb '07 so they are the perfect size for a begginer as you can grow (in confidence / ability) with the dragon.

Go for a beardie but only get one or house them individually. They grow very fast and can become fairly aggressive toward each other. Its not uncommon for limbs to require amputation because of a bad bite

go with easterns, if you get a nice yellow one they look good and also have a great personality

If you get 2 or even 3 dragons that were born together and do not fight so far, your likelyhood of having fighting dragons is greatly reduced. All the hatchies are in the same enclosure at the moment and they are all currently fine (no tails or toes missing). I also have 3 juveniles that were born start of december, housed together and they all get along beautifully. No fighting at all.

i love my central beardies,...they were from the same clutch, lived together with no probs fro 18 months, then Bug started chasing Chub out of the tank so that doesnt work anymore....if i try putting her in Bug beards her, and Chub runs away

but theyre still the best lizards in the world,..!! :)
very cute and affectionalte. (and a bit fat) :)

central beardies are very good for beginners

I have an adult central which my 2yo daughter carries around everywhere under supervision.
she was purchased as an adult and is VERY QUIET AND TAME.
can get feisty out in the sun as she is housed outside during summer.
these lizards are great pets and have huge personalities.
I breed woodies for mail order so this is what she mainly eats with a few pinkie mice and spiders when I can find them.
I think they should be housed individually if you can, or just buy 1 as they could be fine for ages then one day they can suddenly bite onanother whether it is a territory thing or a food issue
If they are exactly the same size they seem to be fine.

I keep both Beardies & Netteds - I think a Central Beardie would be a best first option, especially if you want to handle. My netteds are ok to handle but that's because I've been conditioning them to it over the last few years. No matter what reptiles I end up buying, I think beardies will always be my favourite species...

In my experience central beardies are more 'tame' than the easterns, i rarely if ever handle my central beardie and it is still content to be picked up and is about as tame as the eastern beardies i used to have that were handled often.

Im not saying not to get an eastern they are great lizards just not as well suited to handling. The easterns do look alot better IMO and are still good handlers compared to other lizards.

central beardies all the way i have 2 adult centrals that live together no worries and i also hve 2 7 month eastern beardies to gether no worries

central bearded all the way i have a yearling and i love her the only time she ever bit me was when she missed and got my hand while i was hand feeding her and she didnt draw blood
central bearded was and is my favourite reptile
p.s they have a great personality

I have a Central Beardie and he is great only young still.He has only bitten me once and that was because I usually hand feed him.
Mitch

As a first try a komoda and if that dont work definetley a bearded good luck

Central Bearded Dragons win hands down.

Get two together so you see their full range of social behaviours. They are a hoot the way they climb on top of and over each other and they way they sleep in a pile. Always doing something that will make you smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back