drama

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benito22

Reaction score
Just been going through some threads the last couple of days, and i must say alot of rudeness and hostility is held to people who are asking honest questions.
dont get me wrong alot of good advice is given to people 90% of the time, but kmon people everyone has to start somewhere and rudeness is a good way to put people off this website.
I rekon be patient with people cause when you started out you would have been pretty similar to them, no doubt.
Would enjoy hearing some opinions about it
cheers

This forum has always been like that as long as I can remember. I have to admit I've fallen into the trap of doing it myself but I'm trying to not do it any more. From what I understand a lot of forums are like this. It's easy to be mean/rude to people when you don't have to say it to their faces

I guess your gunna get here what's in the real world, nice people mainly who are generally nice and are interested in helping others, but then you get the trash who want to put people down and make jokes of peoples lack of knowledge.

Do unto others ppl's ;)

Personally that's not what frustrates me. What's upsetting is to see those same people who were being flamed for innocent questions, valid if naive points which only required a quick honest answer, who only perhaps a week later are turning on more 'newbies' asking the same questions.
I can understand the frustration a lot of the older hands feel when seeing the same questions over and over and over again, but relative newcomers who were themselves a week ago just as lost in the dark? Now that to me is just petty, lacks empathy and just reeks of 'making myself look better'.
Totally agree with you Smithers: Do unto others. How is anyone going to learn if they don't ask questions?

i really hate people posting a thread about what other people do. if you dont like it tough, its how it is in life where ever you go. build a bridge and take a tissue for your issue

Although I have only been a member of this site for a short time,and thinking of upgrading to subscribe,every single person here has been a newbie with no exceptions.I have cared for and been around animals my whole life.At work I have access to scientists in every field from enviromental,population,forensic and a few I can't mention.Am I an expert,no and never will I class myself as one.The world changes every day and stupid questions will always be a part of being a newbie/humans.We learn from teachers,advice,research and people with experience.It all adds up to the optimum husbandry of what animals we keep.APS can only gain more subscribers from people not afraid to ask questions,willing to learn and learn by mistakes.
A few quotes from a humble genius;A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former....Albert Einstein

It's easy to spot the people who are looking for an ego boost around here, that's for sure.

Its hard not to take the piss out of someone when they ask questions like,
"-Can my snake forget how to shed!?!??"
"-HELP!! my snake has milky eyes and a pale underbelly, WHATS GOING ON!!!"

Not that i support hate nor have responded with any but some questions do deserve a little negativity.

Or "can my spotted python eat my dog?" :p
I think there's a difference between nonsense questions and naive ones though

The "what should I name my snake?" threads really annoy me.

Name your own damn snake.

Otherwise APS has basically been the same since before I joined.

I have been reading these forums for a while now and am also a subscriber, had always been a little worried by what ppl on here might say if I asked a ?, which I think might be important but to them the answer may be quite simple. Some threads on here can become quite heated, which is a bit confronting when ur a newbie. Isn't the whole idea of this site to make ppl aware of how great reptiles are, something we all pretty much all agree on.
I just posted the other day with a prob and got some good advice thankfully, I usually read through threads to get info I need, but this time I just needed a little reassurance, and as always things turned out fine. So don't bag the newbies for asking ?'s as no one on here knew everything when they started out.

i think people get frustrated when people come on here and just ask a question without doing some research first. most questions have been asked 1000 times already on this forum so a quick thread search will 99% of the time answer the question u wish to ask. i must admit it frustrates me

We all must remember one simple thing: none of our animals came with "how to" manuals! We all started out the same as 'newbies', knowledge is gained, experience is accumulated and respect is given (sometimes!)...

There are some people who believe their knowledge, experience and respect should be kept to themselves... Then, there are the others - at times the smaller minority - who are more than willing to help those with questions, and extend some of their knowledge, and experience to further extend the interest in the hobby.

One of my mottos is "The only dumb question is the one that's not asked"... So people, ask away! :)

Stepping off my soap-box now!

Best,
Carolyn

I'm a newbie and I always try to research first. Frankly, though, I don't find the search facility on this forum the easiest to use. I've often been led to the information I need here via Google.

i think people get frustrated when people come on here and just ask a question without doing some research first. most questions have been asked 1000 times already on this forum so a quick thread search will 99% of the time answer the question u wish to ask. i must admit it frustrates me

I get that. But if something frustrates or annoys, why not simply ignore it? Why even waste five minutes out of your life posting a response? (Those are general questions that are not specifically directed at you, byron_moses.)

I have to admit I've fallen into the trap of doing it myself but I'm trying to not do it any more. It's easy to be mean/rude to people when you don't have to say it to their faces

Good on you, saximus. And you are so right. It's easy to say anything you want from behind a keyboard, an avatar and a username.

Newbies will ask "ignorant" questions, most of which, I believe, are asked out of genuine curiosity about and sense of responsibility for the animal under their care. In my opinion, if a herp's welfare might be at stake, there's no such thing as a dumb question and it's therefore better to create a place where people feel comfortable asking for help.

Renenet

I'm a newbie and I always try to research first. Frankly, though, I don't find the search facility on this forum the easiest to use. I've often been led to the information I need here via Google.

I get that. But if something frustrates or annoys, why not simply ignore it? Why even waste five minutes out of your life posting a response? (Those are general questions that are not specifically directed at you, byron_moses.)

Good on you, saximus. And you are so right. It's easy to say anything you want from behind a keyboard, an avatar and a username.

Newbies will ask "ignorant" questions, most of which, I believe, are asked out of genuine curiosity about and sense of responsibility for the animal under their care. In my opinion, if a herp's welfare might be at stake, there's no such thing as a dumb question and it's therefore better to create a place where people feel comfortable asking for help.

Renenet
i dont mate either way u find it you still find it

the search function on this site DOES need improvement.

When a keyword is searched, the list that comes up is in time order of any threads that have that keyword in them, whether the keyword be in the title or even in the body of the thread. I think when you search a keyword, the first ones that appear should be with the keyword in the title. would make finding relevant threads much easier

If you go into advanced search you can select titles only. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back